73 RS bumper install

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GDSmith, Mar 15, 2019.

1. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Finally wrapping this drawn out adventure, went to install the front Bumperetts and based on the holes in the bumpers Somethings missing???
    There are holes for 4 bolts and only 3 places to bolt, pretty there is another piece on the outer bracket to bolt the bottom of the bumper.
    Anyone got pictures of the missing piece? Please send so I know what I’m looking for.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

Appears there is a missing bracket at the outer underside for the bumper to bolt to?
    Pictures? Anyone have a pair they are willing to part with?

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You have the correct brackets on the car for R/S,there arent anymore.Pic up your bumper.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think he means , post a couple of pictures of the bumper you are installing, is it the original? When I did a search these was a bumper bracket that looked weird, however, I only remember three bolts , 2 top, 1 bottom, I have gone to sleep sense then , HAA HA , so I may have forgotten something!!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There was a beefier bracket,now that Im remembering.It was 73 only.More like a plate of steel,lol.
    But youre fine with those brackets.If you had to use your bumpers,and they did have an extra hole up top that was visible,you could just fill it with another bumper bolt and be done.

6. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

The outlyer on the bottom at the corner is the one that has me guessing, this is the passenger side.
    If there isn’t a requirement I’m good to go!

729D86CC-93ED-471C-AFB3-E082704AB312.jpeg 439A4F91-AFF9-48B9-96A8-F4811E2F0F79.jpeg

7. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

8. hubedobeedo

there is a production brace the part number is3986583-4 bumper 001.jpg that would mount from the core support to that lower hole

9. hubedobeedo

i wonder if that outer lower hole was added not seen that before the brace shown is for mounting towards center

10. hubedobeedo

i also have a set of original RS bumpers that have the same holes but i do not ever remember seeing a separate bracket for such not in manuals even. it does look like something was bolted on(rust ring)
    i wonder if it was a bracket used in 73 because of gov. law changes to get thru to 74 change would interesting to see what was there (sounds like somebody needs to find them parts)