73 Z Cleaning the underside

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Bob Lane, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Bob Lane

Bob Lane New Member Lifetime Gold Member

How are you fellas cleaning the underside of your car? Sandblasting-media blasting-& how much mess are you making?

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

12 hours of hot water pressure washing. Yes it sucked. IMG_1089.JPG

hubedobeedo, 73rsltz and Bob Lane like this.
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sprayed mine down with purple power using a garden sprayer, then pressure washed. After that I found the bottom was in pretty good shape, so to give the new epoxy primer something to bite to I lightly sand blasted it, don't think I had to go to bare metal in many places. Used a harbor freight blasting unit with ace hardware medium grit sand (run it though a window screen first to get nozzle clogging big pieces out) and make sure you wear a N95 NIOSH dust mask due to silica sand dust. I layed on my back and blasted away, then jumped in the pool after shedding my work clothes, that stuff gets everywhere. Make sure you use compressed air to blow out all the nooks and crannies, you can just shove an open hose into small areas. I also used it on some hard to sand areas like around the trunk hinges.

hubedobeedo and Bob Lane like this.
  4. Jerry73Z28

Jerry73Z28 Member

I've been blasting the underside of mine. My Dad had a little gravity fed unit hanging out in the garage, and I bought a 50lb bag of play sand from Ace to keep it fed. Do it outside, for sure. I gave the concrete driveway a good sweep before I started, and have been sweeping up the mess and dumping it back into the sandblaster. Sure beats trying to get it clean using a wire wheel brush like I started with. A rotisserie is a lifesaver IMO.
    [​IMG]

hubedobeedo, 73rsltz and Bob Lane like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

My 79 z was full of ziebart rustproofing everywhere. I hooked up my pressure washer to hot water and went to town. I was surprised that it all blew right off.
    I thought I was going to be using diesel fuel and a scaper or something of the sort. Was happy with the results, looks like new under that rustproofing.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I did mine all by hand with a wire brush ,scraper different types of cleaners and a lot of elbow grease. It was a real "joy"

7. Bob Lane

Bob Lane New Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the answers. I am fortunate that I can’t see but 1 pencil sized hole of rust so I feel good about my buy. The bodies I see posted loo great also. What are you painting them with or coating them in ? I know that once I put 2 years or more of work in this car and tens of thousands of dollars it will not see any intentional driving in the rain.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I used undercoating in rattle cans. I forget how many

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd go with Southern Polyurethane Inc epoxy primer, numerous people on here have used it. When you compare it to a gallon of PPG or Dupont it is about half the price, and delivered right to your door, available in quarts also.I think 2 gallons (gallon of base and gallon of hardener runs around $180-200 if I recall correctly. Make sure you read their tech sheet online, they have precations about using after soda blasting and acid etch or rust converters. https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

hubedobeedo likes this.
  10. 73rsltz

73rsltz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Used mean green and pressure washer on the Vette laying on my back. James did the Camaro on the rotisserie with a hot water pressure washer.

hubedobeedo likes this.