74 vega wagon right price so maybe...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by LayZ, Apr 20, 2013.

1. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Got my POpular hot rodding yesterrday and this good looking Vega is in it! Nice ride.

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

did n't they make a wagan that looked a lot like a Nomad?

(well a nomad wagon was a 2 door bel air wagon as opposed to the 4 door wagon . the vega was only offered in 2 door version so all the wagons were " nomads ") What i was talking about was a 2 door wagan early years with the conversion to look like the 1955 Nomads,had the extria pice behind the door window and the chrome strips down the rear hatch ,They where cool, but i don't know it they were G M or not.

3. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

it was called a Panel Express...

4. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Basically they put pieces of body colored sheetmetal where the rear side windows are suppose to be. Personally I think it looks like crap. Maybe if they color matched the molding around the panel instead of black, it wouldn't have looks so cheapie.

[​IMG]

5. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Well the wheeling and dealing is done. I'm ok with his counter offer but wants to see if he can get the full price by today. I don't think it's going to happen with this other guy but if he wants to hold out it's his sale.

Think I made a good few points, passenger fender needs work, little rust on the quarter, trans will not go into 2nd. If i'm going to replace trans going to go with the v8monza kit but then to change the trans I HAVE to do the V8 conversion or the bellhousing will not work. So it became an all or nothing deal. Would have prefered to have it driveable so I could buy a few parts here and there then when I had it all ready, do it all at once.

6. 77LT1

77LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you do get the car, see if you can "manually" shift it out of first. I had issues with a TH350 that wouldn't shift out of first, but I could manually shift from first to second, etc. Was told it was the sprag or the sun gear that was broken. I forget which one he said. It's only been 20 years since then. I don't know enough about transmissions to know if this was right.

B

7. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

I had the same problem with a turbo 350. If I shifted the rears I could get all of them but if I just put it in drive it would stay in first.

8. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Cool I will check it out..

LOL it has that manual auto from the factory ultra rare!!

I was thinking it may be a gov gear, happened in one of my other cars, kept thinking the next gear was 1st.

Hopefully so that was a 200 dollar fix.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. Drg racr

Drg racr Veteran Member

I built a few Vega wagons. They are fun. I found a complete but rusted out V8 Monza Spyder and used the mounts, trans crossmember, manifolds, radiator and rear axle for the Vega. It was a total drop in for the 355 and T-350.
    The Vega had an air-cooled transmission, the T-200 or something like that. It had big holes in the casing to allow air to cool the torque conv.
    Denali- I wanted to buy that car from you many years ago, but never got the chance to get with you on it. Glad to see its still around. I'd still love to have the car. Let me know when you get it out of storage and I'll shift funds around.

10. 79cam6.0

79cam6.0 Veteran Member

looks like i managed to swap my 81 camaro parts car for a 76 vega today!