75 Bumblebee LT1 swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Hello everyone, I bought a 75 Camaro not too long ago and I'm doing a restomod to make it look like bumblebee. (very cheesy I know)
    So far nothing has been done on this car, waiting on a few things in the mail before any work can be done.
    Here is what it looks like
    [​IMG]
    I'm plan on putting a lt4 motor in the car (gen V yes the title says lt1, plans change) I'm doing everything I can to research what I'll need to make this work, including new suspension, accessory drives, fuel tank etc. If there is anything you think I'm missing please let me know and I'll look into it.

The interior will need to be completely gutted aside from maybe the rear seats. I don't know what the hell the last owner was trying to do, but he totally ruined it.
    Wiring will need to be redone as well since the tail lights don't work (they also never shut off so it drains the battery) but these are minor things. This has actually been finished, you can read more about it here if you are interested

The only dents on this car is a very tiny one on the nose, and another next to the reflector, no big deal, super easy fix. 0 rust from what I have found aside from the hood, but that will be cut out for the cowl I plan on adding. (or getting an entirely new hood, undecided)

Car is solid, and I can't wait to make it look pretty since it runs fine in its current state.

This is what I want it to look like what I'm done without the fake fade...again, cheesy I know
    [​IMG]
    New movie came out, THIS is what it will actually look like when it's done
    [​IMG]
    I also have a spreadsheet you can view. It has everything I plan on buying and it's more or less completed. If there is anything you feel like I'm missing please let me know so I can add it (aside from minor things such as fuel lines and stuff, it's things I need but will figure out when everything is in my possession)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Just make sure its safe to drive before you do anything else,

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

it has a rod knock while idling, so I need to rebuild the engine (if I don't swap it of course), other than that it actually runs great.

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Update on the "rod knock"
    we were 100% wrong, a lifter was sticking.....sooo I got this car far cheaper just for the fact they thought it required an engine rebuild

Probably going to take the motor out anyways though.....350s are kind of slow, my honda civic is faster.

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Sell the lt4 and get a ls2-ls3

6. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Why don’t you trade the lt for an ls?

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

why?

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I can easily sell parts to make up the cost no doubt. But some users are saying the transmission won't work because it's a transaxle. Soooo I might have to think of a plan b anyways. Nothing is set in stone (yet) so it's no big deal.

10. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

My advice is avoid the LT1/LT4 motors from the mid 90's. The optispark is a major problem with them. Do yourself a favor and just buy a 350 GM Performance crate motor. It will give you everything you need and want especially if you go with ZZ6. Yes, it expensive but you will have just as much if not more with an LT4. and you can either Carburate or Fuel Inject the normal 350 SBC.