75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

It's a lt4 from a 2015 corvette, not an early 90's

A 350 motor doesn't have the power I'm looking for

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

[​IMG]
    First thing for my car came in the mail, only bought this now because the last owner totally screwed it up.

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

[​IMG]
    Alright, time for some actual updates! Dad finally dropped off my car after sitting at his GF's house for 2 weeks. We originally intended to bring it up same day we bought it but plans changed (not actually sure what changed but we just didn't do it for whatever reason)

[​IMG]
    Here is the only major body issue with the car, it's pretty bad....Do you think I can bang this out? or should I just buy a new panel for $200? The budget is currently sitting at 46k so what's another $200 right? (that includes what was already bought and before the nickel and diming that will happen)

I didn't own any tools aside from a basic tool box, so my Dad and I went out to sears and bought a bunch of cheap tools since sears is going out of business. Say what you will about craftsman, but saving $600 is saving $600....just sayin' Lowes also bought them so the lifetime warranty isn't going anywhere.

See! It runs! lol
    The tires were already jacked and I want to replace them so I don't really care that we did this....Though it did teach me I don't have a posi so I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade my rear eventually (maybe)

[​IMG]

We put a new shifter in, last person who owned it totally screwed it up. I don't know what they were trying to do...but they clearly didn't read the instructions. Wasn't something I could be too helpful with the installation aside from read instructions and shift the gears when needed, only thing I was told is that I didn't want to see the mess down there.

I'll show a video and pictures of that tomorrow, nothing amazing but it works and shifts without a vice grip....yes, that's how messed up it was. I still have the cable from the last shifter, I'll show you that as well, it's a mess. I have a decent quick silver though if anyone wants to buy it though! cables and accessories not included. (sadly could not be salvaged)

Next on the agenda is giving it a light bath, putting everything into my toolbox, fixing a coolant leak (just need a new thermostat and gasket which i already got) fixing a transmission fluid leak (haven't looked into that much) tuning the new carb so it doesn't run rich and finally fixing the wiring....another thing the last owner totally destroyed to the point it's no longer street legal because the tail lights don't function properly and certain things never shut off so it kills the battery....I might need help figuring that one out.

I know I'm just going to completely gut it as mentioned in past threads, but due to unforeseeable events, that won't happen for a bit...so I'm just going to do some minor cheap fixes just so I can at least enjoy it on the road.

Edit: can a mod rename my post? Title is pretty bland

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Alright, here is the shifter cable to give you a pretty good idea on how screwed up it was
    [​IMG]
    Here is the new shifter installed
    [​IMG]
    Works great, you can view a video of it here

Also gave it a bath, not a good bath, but it's better than nothing
    [​IMG]

And that concludes the progress for this weekend, everything else that gets done for a bit isn't really photo worthy most likely.

6. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

i bought a used shifter exactly like that one years ago for my 76 and couldn't get the cable set right so i finally gave up and went back to my factory one. someone was quite the macgyver on that cable. nice car.

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

last guy had a real hard time with the old quicksilver. Just have to loop it around the tranny and you're golden.

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Took my ar to a local body shop to get a rough idea how much it would cost to make the body the way I want it
    quoted me around 15-25k
    I think I died a little inside.....that's more than my 2017 honda civic lol

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DAMN!! Thats crazy money for what you are looking to do, mine with frame on dustless blasting and fully blown apart, to prep and paint was $10 plus 5 for the paint and special primer and epoxy and so on, with no more then 1/2 pound of filler at best ,as every thing was straitened , I would keep looking , or , learn paint and body work and DIY

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

the materials isn't what makes painting expensive, it's the time it takes. My body panels, though look "fine" they're all warped and need to be straightened out for the most part.
    But a lot of the cost actually came from him talking about lining up paneling and stuff because GM half assed it.

Body work is the last thing I'll be doing anyways though, by the time that rolls around who knows where I'll be in life.