75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. 1981LT1

1981LT1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That shifter cable is straight custom!!!

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

So no major updates this weekend, was at great america/santa cruz for my birthday. Family got me a $40 o'reilly's giftcard and the first cosmetic of the build, so that's cool.
    [​IMG]

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Got some things in the mail! sadly these won't be too useful for a little bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

got a quote from Keith for my new suspension
    [​IMG]
    Though about a thousand more than I originally intended, a lot of people recommended I go with this and I feel confident after our phone call he'll give me exactly what I need.

5. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

I don't think he would steer you wrong. He is very knowledgeable. I have those same coil over and shocks on mine. I do recommend putting the spacers on top of the coil springs. I didn't and now thinking about doing all over again.

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I have a coworker who has done this, and he claims a lot of lt1/lt4 engines have major problems. Claims it killed the tranny due to line pressure drops during shifts....not exactly sure what that means, I'll need to look that up.
    He's strongly advising me to get an LSX376-B15 or lsx454
    He's currently running a lsa in his 68 camaro, looks like it fits great and I considered that option, but it already has a supercharger so it feels capped out (I know there are many ways to beef up an engine, but it gets harder and harder once you're done with bolt ons)
    I don't even have an engine yet and I'm already worried about not having enough pwoer...wow. I won't ever need more than 400, not sure why I'm concerned about getting 600+ especially because the tail end is going to swerve all over the place at high speeds.

Here are pictures of his car if you care
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    dave@ztech likes this.
  7. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Sounds more like a transmission problem than anything to do with the engine. I believe line pressure is controlled by either a TV cable or the ECU on those engines. If not set up properly it will fry a trans. Someone with more knowledge of the modern transmissions wil probably chime in.

Nice looking '68!

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

He claimed not to use the gm performance wiring harness and use the spear tech one because it's "just better" it doesn't seem like they support my configuration though

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I would not trust a used LT1 engine personally. Especially not if it’s a 2013-2014. Maybe a 2015+ if you really know the source of it. But from a recycler - not something I would consider.

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I'm probably going to get a crate engine