75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

It’s more than that. You also need to resign the entire car - chassis, suspension, brakes, fuel and electrical systems, rear end, brakes. You name it - nothing on a stock 2nd gen or resto mod type of setup is going to work with 600+ HP. It’s a $60K build assuming you did all the work.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I know, i have all of that laid out in my spreadsheet in my first post.

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I looked at the spreadsheet. It does not cover what you will need to make this motor work in a 2nd gen.
    I am saying the engine / trans / suspension / chassis brake portion only is a $60K build. You have it at $35K.

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I can only see it costing 60k if I make someone else do it

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

No. That would be $80K!

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Lol alrighty
    I know I'm missing a few things, I'm paying as much as I need

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I don’t understand this...
    The op is saying a 1900 fuel tank is absurd but a 35k spread sheet isn’t ?

And yes I agree that lt4 is really going to be alot of work. I would consider the resale value as well because the 75 models don’t command that high of a price at least not yet

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I don't want to resell this car, if I did I would keep the numbers matching, keep everything stock, fix the body myself, and sell it off. If I wanted money I would have gotten a 70-73
    instead I'm basically gutting everything about the car that makes it worth anything to any normal person....because this isn't for anyone else, this is for me, and only me.
    I'm well aware I'm going into this to lose money, I'm going to lose a lot of money. But I will save where I can, and the fuel tank can easily be saved on. That one particular vendor just wanted more because they didn't make it for my model year of car so it required more work. It would be far cheaper for me to get a fuel tank from Muscle rods and just swap out the pump for the on in a 2017+ zl1 camaro. Plus that would fit correctly instead of needing straps.
    http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merch...P&Product_Code=206-6681-06&Category_Code=FUEL
    the pump that comes with that tank is more than enough for my application, but the speartech guy recommended I use the OEM pump so it communicates better with the wiring harness, which makes sense to me.

ALSO
    My rear rims came in the mail, I just need tires and then this will give me the info I need to send to keith so we can figure out exactly what needs to be done for my suspension.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also sorry to anyone if it sounds like I'm coming off as a dick, that's not my intention.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

$1900 fuel tank is least of your concerns.

Anyway - my point is a LT4 is $20K for the motor, controller, front dress and auto trans bellhousing kit.

So Plan on $30K for engine / trans / fuel system and then you need a car that can handle that. Minimum $20K. So $50K easily. And then factor on a 20 pct - didn’t even think of that budget and you are at $60K.

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Alright looked into some better options for the fuel tank for what speartech rep recommended.
    I can get this tank, along with these OEM parts from a zl1 and I'll be all set, saving me about a grand. (before fuel lines) I'll need to see if these can even bolt into these tanks of course, if I can't I'll explore additional options, shop around, and go to rick's tanks if 100% needed.
    I know I'm blowing lots of money, but I'm still doing my best to see where I can cut down costs when possible without losing quality. (such as getting used parts, everything I have listed is MSRP before tax for reference on what I need)
    I'm sure many of you think I'm crazy and that's perfectly ok, but I've wanted to do this since I was around 8 or 9, and now that I have a decent chunk in savings, I'm going to slowly start doing it. Only thing stopping me is my lack of knowledge (which is why I'm here) and time....and I guess unexpected events in life.
    I do appreciate everyone's input, this community has been very helpful with everything I've wanted to know thus far.

For all I know I'm sticking with the lt1 and calling it a day, but I will build the car to support an lt4, it just all really boils down to where I stand when it's finally time to swap everything out....and that will be a bit from now since work is hell and I don't have weekends to work on the car.

First and foremost though, suspension, then rear axle.