75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Rear tires came in the mail, Cooper Cobra GT 275/60/15
    Before you get all huffy that the tire choice is poor for my application, I'm 100% aware of that. I justified it by the fact I won't be destroying these for a bit and they good every day tires, the car in its current state maxes out at (roughly) 80mph before we ran out of road....so we're fine.
    If I have have fun on a track or anything I'll switch them out....for now, not too concerned about it. I'll get the rear wheels on soon and post pictures......hopefully I don't run into any clearance issues. (spoiler alert, probably will)

Next thing, I have been working on the electrical, I have every light turned off now except the brake lights, they're still at the brightest setting when the battery is just plugged in. They're simply wired wrong, still navigating the rats nest of spliced wires and electrical tape. All the colors are wrong so it's making this a bit harder. On top of that....I don't really know what bulb in my tail lights should be doing. I know that sounds kind of stupid but they never worked to begin with and the only videos I find are on LED tail lights.
    SO
    there are 3 bulbs, left side that curves (triangle), the middle brake light, and the clear lens parking light.
    For the light that's on the side of the car (triangle part) do those only turn on when I turn on my headlights? If so these are both wired correctly now so I don't need to touch it. But do these also blink when i put on my turn signal?
    The brake light, it's meant to be dim when the car is on, and go full bright when I brake. These lights are also my turn signal, right?
    and the innermost lens, the clear one. If I'm not mistaken, these should only turn on when I go into reverse right? If so, that simply won't work just for the fact my car isn't wired up to know when I'm backing up (wire was missing when we were putting in the shifter)

My blinkers 100% don't work, I think the pot plug is dead, so i bought a new one for $2, I should be able to test that tomorrow. Fingers crossed that's all I need to do.

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Like I mentioned before, GM is starting to promote the LT engines as crate engines, so maybe, by the time you get ready , all of the other stuff will have caught up, so just keep plugging , haa ha , along , and you will get to the result you are looking for!!

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Most of this project is a long, painful waiting game...but I guess that sums up most people's car projects haha

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

[​IMG]
    Rear rims now have tires

Attached Files:

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Have some updates with actual progress!
    (most) major electrical problems have been fixed, so we're now street legal....you know, aside from the 4 big ass cracks in the windshield, minor details.
    You can read more about that over here
    We did not fix the tranny leak, it's a gasket issue though, we've determined it's not worth the effort since we're just going to put a new one in anyways and keep the pan under.
    Replaced the oil, and my god was that filter on tight, I think it was wrenched on. Got a bit creative with a hammer and a screwdriver.
    And now for the main part, got the wheels on! and that was a pain in the ass all in itself, the nuts would not come off to save my life. They eventually did with...a hammer and a screwdriver....primarily because they were stuck in the socket (these were pretty messed up, I promise you, I'm not doing it wrong I swear)
    Here is a comparison picture with the old anew new wheels, and with them on the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, there are only 4 nuts on, o'reilly's only had 2 packs of 4 7/16"-20 wheel nuts, more are coming in the mail and this will NOT be driven until we fix the suspension. It rubs, A LOT. We found spacers though, we believe if we take them off it will give us the ride height needed before I get Keith's aftermarket solution.

A lot got done today, car runs better, sounds better...and now I can't drive it.

side note, when we were under the car, we found out it's a true dual exhaust, there isn't an x-pipe, and the original color of the car was blue if the color behind the trailights is to be believed. If you want to know why I'm doing all of this since I'm just going to replace the engine anyways, it's so I can learn about some basic things. My dad might know all about this, but I'm still learning, and I can't depend on him to always be around since he's 2 hours away.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    dave@ztech likes this.
  6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Wheels and tires look great man (plenty of muscle car guys running Cooper Cobras round me)

If pulling the spacers/lowering blocks? doesn’t quite sort the ride height you could also look at making some lift shackles. The pro-touring guys won’t approve but its in keeping with the late 70s-early 80’s street machine look of bumblebee. Just make sure all of your bushes are in good shape and keep an eye on the pinion angle.

7. Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz Veteran Member

Black and Yellow is better than red.You can run the lt1 or lt4,just need the wiring harness,electric fuel pump,good to go.Who ever said youll have problems,why they both are fuel injected.Myself carb and a 427 bb.

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I agree, yellow and black is much better, everyone does red or blue lol (even if this had nothing to do with my theme I'd still get yellow and black)
    From the research I've done (and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) but I'd argue it's actually simpler since you don't need return lines or anything. Just have to make sure the pump is powerful enough for all that gas. I plan on upgrading basically everything about the car, so I can't imagine I'd run into too many issues!

Due to the holidays though, haven't really had time to work on anything, I want the tires to stop rubbing before christmas, have to fly to el paso for work first....that's cutting into some of my time.

9. Richard Schultz

Richard Schultz Veteran Member

Whatever motor you go with itll work.My little brother put a lift,1 ton axles under a 1985 1500.Installed a 8.1l and power train,yes fuel injected.Which tires are rubbing?

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

The rear, we noticed some spacers on the suspension. We believe if we take them off it should stop the rubbing (or make it very minimal) if it doesn't stop it entirely I might get high arch leaf springs from custom works performance to solve the issue if stock is too low.
    OR I roll the fenders, someone said that will be a must...I'll wait and see before I do that just haven't had time to do anything since I put on the wheels.