77 Front bumper frame horn brackets/braces?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JumpStart, Feb 3, 2019.

1. JumpStart

JumpStart Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hey guys, quick question. So the previous owner took the whole front bumper assembly off. (he rigged up a fiberglass one) I'm trying to go back to oem. I got an original bumper and I just ordered the springs and the brace that connects to the frame horn brackets, but I still need the frame horn brackets and the two upper rod-style braces.

I can't find any shock absorbing units, so I guess I'll run it without them, anything is better than a floppy piece of fiberglass.

I did find a few frame horn brackets, but I am not sure which ones are correct.

There is this style (cut-away bottom flange): https://www.ebay.com/i/272726970293?chn=ps

And these with the large hole in the bottom flange:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1977-Camaro-Front-Bumper-Outer-Support-Bracket-Passenger/142390968013
    https://www.ebay.com/i/270112010645?chn=ps

This listing for the whole assembly (which I should have bought in hindsight) has the style with the large hole in the bottom flange: https://www.ebay.com/i/183039924956?chn=ps

So hopefully you guys can help me figure out which ones I need. I can't find any rod-style braces either, so I guess I will have to fabricate those, or wait until they pop up.

Thanks guys.

2. JumpStart

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Also if anyone knows about the vertical bumperettes for the front bumper, I see them in my 1974 assembly manual. I have a z28, is it supposed to have the bumperettes on the front? I see images of z28's that don't have them. I haven't seen any for sale. I have them on the back bumper... I suppose it isn't a big deal but would be a nice addition. I guess I would have to drill out the bumper I bought as this one doesn't appear to have had them.

3. JumpStart

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Nevermind, I went ahead and bought the $500 full bumper assembly. Now I will have an extra bumper and springs... just in case.

4. JumpStart

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I'd still like to know about the bumperettes for the front. If anyone knows which were supposed to have them or maybe a link to a chart? It would be much appreciated.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I was never a fan of the bunperettes. I'm pretty sure it was an option but I don't think it was standard equipment.

JumpStart likes this.
  6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    My 74 had the brackets with the big hole (for access to the core support bushings). The shock absorbing units are just guides, one hollow tube that slides in the other. I would imagine they would be important for bumper mounting.

JumpStart likes this.
  7. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    The bumper guards (front and rear) were an option for entire Camaro lineup. RPO V30 was the option code which included both front and rear guards.

JumpStart likes this.
  8. JumpStart

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it. The guides, frame horn brackets, and rod-style braces are hard to find. If anyone wants me to take pictures and measurements of those pieces when they come in (for making replicas), I can do that.

I'll see about the bumper guards, I also still need to buy the rubber/plastic filler panels for the front bumper.

9. JumpStart

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Bumper stuff from the 74 build manual:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]