77 Type LT Budget Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ZerroHalfcup, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup New Member

What's up everyone, I hope you're ready for the slowest Camaro build of the next undetermined years but if you're not, you'll have plenty of time cause nothing about this car is going fast anytime soon. This is my first thread and car build so any and all advice is welcome and encouraged. I figured the best way to learn was by just doing it so here we go. I'm currently in college so I don't necessarily have money to blow but I saved up a few dollars and picked up probably the worst '77 Camaro in the Mid-South area. To get up to speed, I started to gut the interior because I've seen bar toilets that looked cleaner than this. I'll have to cut the driver side seat out because some nimrod welded just one corner of it to the floor. Next goal is to drop the front subframe to clean and repaint that along with most everything else attached to it forward of the firewall. Sorry this was such a long post so here is the most important part, the pictures of this nasty thing.
    Thanks - Matt
    123951.jpg IMG956577.jpg IMG956578.jpg 20190330_121312.jpg 20190401_113107.jpg 20190401_113113.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Looks like a thorough pressure wash inside and out would do wonders. How’s the rust situation looking?

3. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup New Member

A pressure wash with a disinfectant would do this car so good, I swear it grows dirt inside. The rust is like everything else on this car, just a mess but manageable. There are some horrible patch panels over the passenger side floor and the driver side follows suit. The bottom of the quarters need replacing as well as half of the trunk pan but I can live with the quarters and trunk pan for a while, the floors would be getting attention first once that day comes.

20190330_120842.jpg 20190330_132731.jpg 20190330_132737.jpg 20190330_132742.jpg

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Be sure of the condition of the rear frame rails before you start buying sheet metal for it.

If the rear rails need to be replaced... It's a lot of work and should probably be tackled along with the trunk floor and before you begin cutting up the quarter panels for patching.

There are cars here which were in similar shape when the rebuild began so it's not impossible.

Welcome to NastyZ and Good luck with your project!!!!

5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

Cool! Looking forward to watching your progress. I've got a Type too.

6. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup New Member

Twisted_Metal, I haven't looked at the rear rails too hard but after I drop the tank and get new batteries for my flashlights I'll give them a good look. From the little I saw when I was briefly under there before they seemed fine but we all know how that goes. I'll throw some pictures on here when I can get a free weekend. Thanks for the welcome.

Gasoholic, I've read through a little bit of your thread, you got a slick car man.

Gasoholic likes this.
  7. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup New Member

Just picked up 7 heads for $30 this past weekend. The seller said he recalls pulling them all off of various 305's. All of them need a good cleaning and I know one needs a new valve guide but for that cheap, I'll gamble on them. I'm going the cheap and easy route and just going to use a straight edge and feeler gauge to check how flat the surfaces are and just going to hope for the best. I know it probably isn't the correct way and getting them resurfaced would be best, but if I can slam something together to make it run long enough to drive 45 minutes from my buddies garage back to mine, I'll take it. Now the hunt to find something to put them on.
    Heads in trunk.jpg
    Bonus, I forget to mention this earlier but I found these in the trunk and under the seats a while back. It's this little stuff I kinda nerd out over
    20190330_143303.jpg 20190330_143244.jpg

8. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Nice, did the car come with many parts or pretty much just what’s in the pics?

9. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup New Member

Scott51, what's in the pictures is pretty much it part wise. I've got the bumpers, seats, trunk lid, rear end and gas tank. Anything else that came with it is pretty much trash. Almost all of the plastic interior trim pieces were broken

10. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the site neighbor. What part of town are you in?