78' Camaro LT1 Conversion Cali Smog Legal

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by supwicha, Feb 26, 2014.

1. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

What? You speak as if she's going out in the rain :) Actually, your correct. I'm just basically trial fitting the components, trying to determine which install method I'll use. The kit actually has a few more pieces not shown. If I go with the current mock-up, I'll introduce the lower tube to Mr. cutoff saw, it almost touches the ground now.

2. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Might be possible, not sure. I also have to stuff my 9C1 engine oil cooler and trans cooler in there too. Still tinkering. . .

Thanks.

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The problem with putting it in front of the radiator, then you have it directly in
    the path of the air/water traveling in from the grille. Still not good in the rain.

Since I laid my F-body radiator back, I ended up with an open spot on the driver
    side which the ultimate plan is to build a filter box at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With it off to the side, it will still see mist through the grille but not the direct
    spray of water. Most should make its way through the radiator instead. I also
    expect a slight "ram" effect at higher speeds. Regardless, even without a box
    around it, I see air temp dropped quite a lot from its first location. I had to on
    the MAF right above the radiator hose and forward of the exhaust, temporarily.

Tom

4. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Radiator Hose Question for you all: It looks like the stock caprice upper hose will fit with zero modification. The exception will be if I route the steam return line to the upper hose as some have done (Conversely, I could weld a barb to the top of this radiator). The lower caprice hose looks like it will not fit. The angles are correct but the center section is too long not permitting the upper to connect to the engine, or visa-versa. Can anyone suggest what hoses they used for the stock radiator with this engine combination? Thank you.

5. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Steam Line Return: Found these nifty items on ebay for under $7 in the US. What do you think of this to mount on the upper radiator hose for the steam return? I'm also tempted to use this to shorten my caprice hose in the center to make it fit. They have these in sizes ranging from 20mm to 40mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Since it will be out of sight, you would use a union similar to the upper one with
    the barb on the lower hose, cut out the length that you do not need and use it.

EDIT .. I see you mentioned that.

If you have the ability to weld a barb on the tank, then why not do that and use
    the stock Caprice upper hose as is? This will pay off in the future when you buy
    a replacement hose.

Tom

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

The union above is what I use for my steam lines, just ordered two more of them.
    Steam line has to go to the upper hose to follow the factory coolant flow path.
    I would run the caprice or F body fans and lose the downward facing air cleaner, I would run it across and off to the side or up to an air filter housing on top of the engine.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  8. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

I actually received three of those inline coolant hose couplings yesterday (different sizes). As it turns out, my aluminum radiator already has a high mount tap I might be able to use for the steam return line. The caprice fans I have are too large to mount both fans. I just received two 12" fans that will fit however. Mounted side-by-side they take about 26" and my radiator core is 27". The jury is still out on how I'll route the intake. I currently have it going towards the driver side of the car (not shown). Aesthetically I like it going down as shown in earlier photos (although its too long right now). I'll have to put more thought into it. I just like the cleaner, less cluttered look of it routed down. I also won't be putting anything on top of the engine, I want that cleared off as well. Thanks for your feedback!

9. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

I routed the steam line to a fitting near the top of the radiator passenger side tank. The only shocker I received was when I went to purchase 3/8" coolant hose to use for it, $5 a foot and I could only get it in bulk 6' lengths. $30 dollars for just over a foot of hose that I actually needed :rolleyes:

10. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool pics! seems you have some wiring job on the agenda!