78 camaro wont start.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by SpoofytheWhale, Nov 15, 2019.

1. SpoofytheWhale

SpoofytheWhale New Member

So the past couple days the Cam has been giving me a lot of issues starting up. Over time it would take longer and longer to get the engine to crank over. I have replaced the battery, the alternator, starter. It cranked over 3x then nothing. I then replaced the ignition switch, and the neutral safety switch. And now it wont crank at all, no clicks, nothing at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

neutral safety switch or it’s wiring.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bad battery cable?
    Sometimes they corrode internal to the insulation.

Check for power at the starter and the solenoid crank trigger connection with someone turning the key.

Good Luck!

4. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Did the no crank situation happen after you replaced the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch? If so, just make sure the connectors are all the way in, and make sure the ignition switch is properly adjusted. If the ignition switch is out of adjustment, you'll get that "dead" condition.

5. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Take the trigger wire off the solenoid on the starter and run a positive test wire to the solenoid on the starter.

6. SpoofytheWhale

Yup it was right after. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the difference in the two safety switches.

Attached Files:

7. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Just like the ignition switch, there are adjustment slots. What did you do to confirm that both switches are adjusted properly?Just a tip that I learned a long time ago.....when you replace things to solve a problem, do it one at a time, so you can determine what effect that change made. I would guess that one or both might be out of adjustment.

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. SpoofytheWhale

I started from scratch one by one. First started with the neutral safety. Placed the gear in Neutral and made sure the switch was placed in neutral secured in place with a pin. Bolted it down, connected wires then removed pin. Then worked on the ignition switch. Placed the ignition lock in the off position, then the ignition switch to the off position in the center. Aligned it with the rod, bolted it in. Turned key and nothing. The buzzing, dash, all come on.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The buzzing and dash lights coming on indicate that the ignition switch is likely not the problem. You can easily check the neutral safety switch. Put a voltmeter in the contacts of the neutral safety switch plug. One should have 12v. The other one will be switched with the shifter. If you have that, it is working. If the switched one isn't showing power, then it is either a bad switch, or more likely misadjusted.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.