78 HEADLINER

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by MURZI, Aug 19, 2018.

1. MURZI

MURZI New Member

Recently bought a 78 z28. The headliner board is warped and hanging down. Just a quick online search looks like the board is available in ABS with the vinyl preinstalled? Is that right? I’m guessing installation would be just pulling down the old one , sliding the new one in carefully and tucking it in?

Advice?

https://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerBoard.asp?Itemid=6835

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You need to remove the perimeter trim holding it in place.
    However.... Reviews of the ABS backing have not been great.

Repairing your old one and recovering it yourself seems to be a better option if you want it to fit and look good.

3. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

There are two types of the ABS headliners. One of them is just a flat piece of ABS with the fabric glued to it. The other type is molded to fit the roof. You definitely want the second type. I got the first type (2nd type wasn't available yet) and it is basically impossible to fit. Plus, it doesn't have holes cut for the visors. I'm going to try and make it work, but I could end up destroying it in the process.

Bottom line: If you are set on getting an ABS headliner, do your research and make sure you get the molded kind. In all likelihood I'll be recovering my cardboard...

4. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recovered my card board and painted it with vinyl paint - easy to do and a good time to touchup or repair the inside trim too.
    If you use the spray on glue - do spray both the cardboard and the vinyl and give it time to properly dry. I used a small wooden roller from home depo that they sell to attach wallpaper to drywall. The roller helped to get the vinyl attached to the board nice and flat then after it dried I trimmed it. I have also replaced one and had it covered to match my custom interior upgrade to leather.

5. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where are you guys finding a molded headliner board?

I have the flat ABS one and was just about to cover it, but noticed some odd fitment issues. I think I can solve those by cutting a bit of