79 Camaro: Recommendation for Serpentine Conversion

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by czizza, Nov 19, 2016.

1. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I am planning on doing a serpentine conversion and I check a lot of vendors and their options and I was wondering what you guys have done or what experiences you have?

I currently have a 79 Camaro, Small Block with A/C (Passenger Side), P/S and Headers ... my goal is to get the A/C off of the headers so I can work on my car and to have no more belt squeal with the PS both units do that from my discussion with March.

Here are my questions:
    1) For the low mount AC does anyone have any experience with it?
    2) For the side mount AC does anyone have pictures of how it fits?

Here are the two options I am looking at:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    I'd suggest saving a TON of money and go with a GM style swap-with nice detailing IMO they look as good or better and are a proven stout design....plus all accessories are easy to source at any parts store. Look for 86-92 3rd gen kits as they provide the best hood clearance.

Jeffsz28 likes this.
  3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I'm using the 89 setup that came on my TPI motor....I like it. Lots of them still around, if you want to go that route.

4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    The two kits above start at 395 with all of the brackets, pullys and covers ... the only addon is for the AC compressor of 235+. I looked at the GM kits new are about 800+ so this is pretty comparable.

But obviously you can't beat the junk yard buy ... do you have pictures of your setup?

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    This is the best way to go. I lucked out on a GM setup that a guy bought and decided to go LS. Keep an eye on CL, you can find the kits occasionally. There's also a member here, don't remember screen name, but he puts them together sometimes when he get the parts.

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Here's an old pic....

[​IMG]

7. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    I have an '88 Iroc serpentine system on mine and it works great. The GM stuff will just bolt right on. Some of the aftermarket stuff will require shimming and adjusting to get it right. Hope this helps.

G

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    That looks nice too. decisions decisions and decision.

9. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

I had an 88-93 Caprice / Camaro setup and was happy with it on an 87- up sbc until the car was stolen. I did the 1988 belt routing, had reverse rotation clutch fan, used liq. line and hoses for Caprice, and all factory braces.

Good luck shopping.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The caprice ac lines were a direct bolt in?