79 Cowel Replacement

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by KeithMontana, Feb 11, 2019.

1. KeithMontana

KeithMontana New Member

Ok, So when I got my 79 Z28, I always new there were issues with the cowel panel as it had one of the worst fiber glass patch jobs I had ever seen, I was prepared to live with in the short term until I went about changing my windshield (see pics!!) Time now to change the panel, New one on the way from Rock Auto. Can anyone give me some advice on best way to go about this, Thanks a million Screenshot_20190211-201210_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190211-201210_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20190211-201219_WhatsApp.jpg

2. R.Jones

R.Jones New Member

The right way would be to pull the front end off the car and replace the cowl with a new panel. Which would mean cutting out spot welds and welding it back in.

KeithMontana likes this.
  3. simso

simso Veteran Member

The dash panel is only part of the problem, with the amount of rust there, likely the base of the a pillars has rotted away.

You cannot buy replacement A pillar braces for the bottom, so it has to be hand fabricated.

Page 1 of my resto shows the area of concern

Steve

4. rotinrob

rotinrob New Member

This is what happens under the panel. I had to hand form the A pillar. At the time I started this the general still sold roofs with the A pillars attached but wasn't worth the cost. But I did get the GM dash top. The other side wasn't as bad.

Attached Files: