'79 LS Swap w/ a 6.0 - Let's Get Modern!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Just Samples, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

Hello once again audience. I'm bringing part of my build over into this section because it's well, a LS swap retro-fit! There was nothing wrong with the sbc 350 we pulled out, i just wanted to change it up, EFI, dependability, and modern. I don't think anybody could pick a better time to do something like this. It has become so easy to swap a LS into virtually anything now thanks to people like Holley, Hooker, Dirty Dingo, Painless Wiring, Muscle Rods, and many more! With all the right stuff, not a whole lot of cutting and fabricating has to be done. That's good for someone like me who doesn't have alot of experience in that stuff.

If you want to read up on my project, here is the link:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299304

The shorty story is a 1979 camaro in great shape that's getting a heart transplant! Picked this motor up at a local junkyard for 1200$. It's a LQ4 6.0L that came out of a 20004 GMC denali. And it only has 73,000 miles, and it looks great so far, more on that later!

Here is my car before it all started.

[​IMG]

And the 350 sbc that was in the car, w/ a TH350 of course.

[​IMG]

The 6.0 on day of arrival. I got a complete motor, I think it was a steal. Heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, and the complete front accessory system minus the A/C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

Dis-assembly Time!

With the help of my dad, the camaro basically took itself apart. I really thought it would be a bit harder than it was, there was just alot of bolts!

[​IMG]

Front bumper delete kit. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sold that take out combo for 1,000$ the very next day, just about got my money back on my LS.

3. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

The engine's turn to get stripped! :p The motor looked great. The oil pan was broke where the trans/bell housing bolts up, but I have to get a new one anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broke 3 exhaust manifold bolts, and 1 was already broke flush with the head. I'll let the machine shop take care of those.

[​IMG]

First power steering pulley removal for me, quite a bit harder than i thought. I would hate to do that in the car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Idk why, but those head bolts smelled awful...

[​IMG]

Off come the shiny aluminum 317 heads!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pistons look great, just need cleaned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out comes the cam

[​IMG]

And here is where found the first bad cam bearing. The bottom of it doesn't look so bad, can't feel anything grooves or scratches. But the top was a different story, they were scarred pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take any pictures of the bottom because my dad did the rest while i was a work one day. We decided to let a machine shop order and install the cam bearings. The shop is going to order:

-Durabond coated cam bearings
    -Clevite main and rod bearings
    -New set of rings for my pistons.

We will put the other bearings in when it gets back. I'm going to order a new gasket set and some other stuff while it's out. I'm only looking for around 450 whp. So it's not a big build, just takes $. Money makes the world go around. Here are the plans so far for the 6.0.

-No Major machine work on the block, we are going to hone the cylinders ourself when it comes back
    Cam - 228r (not sure on brand yet, probably a custom grind)
    Heads - Get re-worked by Chad Golen. Nice port job and new springs, re-grind valves, etc.
    Manifold - Either Fast or Holley hi-ram. I have this 4 inch cowl hood, does anybody know if the hi-ram will clear?
    Headers - not brand specific, just as long as they clear
    EFI - Holley for sure, either the HP or Dominator. Probably the HP. I have to make some more decisions on the throttle cable and trans to order the right kit. The dominator is more competition ready w/ 40 inputs and outputs, and it costs around 1,000$ more! More than likely it will be the HP for me.
    Oil Pan - Holley, got my eye on a black carbon ceramic one
    New bolts and gaskets - Should i pay the extra for the ARP stuff all the way around? I'm a sucker for the best stuff, but if it's not necessary??

I am keeping the main rotating assembly stock. Pistons, rods, and crank. From everything i read, they will be fine for up to 500hp. Which i'm only looking for up to 450 right now.

Stuff i'm not for sure on whether i should keep the stock parts, buy new OEM, or upgraded ones. I'm not on a super tight budget but i would like to finish the car and drive it to LS fest next year.

Timing set
    Oil Pump - more than likely will replace just for assurances.
    Pushrods
    Rockers
    LS6 valley cover - not necessary but can help with the catch can PCV system later.
    Front accessory drive system - Still need to do some research on. Been looking at Holley or Dirty Dingo.

I will keep you guys updated as to what i order and more pictures when the block comes back. I hope it can be painted after a hot tank, or will I have to strip it? I've got plans for a solid black motor!

4. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

Picked up some good carb/parts cleaner today to hopefully clean the pistons. Dad soaked them in mineral spirits and scrubbed some, it's amazing how tough carbon is. Bought this stuff at Walmart for 18$.

[​IMG]

After mineral spirits, before the Chem-Dip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now we wait. I'll update you tonight on how it works, everything i've seen and read on this stuff is pretty promising. But no matter how much cleaner you use, you still have to scrub to get the last bit off.

5. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

That stuff is pretty strong. Here is the same piston from the above post, straight out of the can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the after scrubbing shots, probably after another soak and scrub they should look close to new!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Just Samples

Just Samples Member

Yes it would. I priced a 6 speed T56 swap from Hurst Drive Conversions and it was around 6,200$ Hard to swing right now. I don't really feel like trying to piece together a swap like that, so many small things. If only i had 20k lying around :whine:

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Here is a great review of all the LS intake manifolds:
    http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-20-ls1-intake-manifolds-tested/

In short, the FAST LSXR has the best average HP/Torque between 3000 and 7000 RPM, but the stock Trailblazer is not far behind. The LSXR is also close to the highest HP overall, only a few exceed it at 7000+ RPM. I switched to the LSXR due to that review and got a nice improvement.

If you plan to run an automatic trans such as a 4L60E or 4L80E, then get the HP Dominator which has trans support built in. I'm using the stock '02 PCM, but plan to switch to the Dominator some day.

Various threads here on the Hooker headers, pros and cons. I have the hooker headers; they are fine, but I don't like having to use the Hooker mounts. I had the Edelbrock headers too, but they are no longer made; they were fine too.

The F-body oil is the safest bet; I use the CTS-V pan for its higher capacity, but it does hang about 1/4"-1/2" below the crossmember.