79 t56 conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Dannyboy3366, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Dannyboy3366

Dannyboy3366 New Member

Hey guys. After thinking long and hard on what direction i want to go with my 79 camaro ive decided to run a 502 bbc and a t56 transmission. So my question is directed to who ever has done this before. What needs to be changed? Where can i get a cross member? Will i need to mod the tunnel? What bellhousing do i use, as in is there one to suit? And im thinking of buying the wilwood boosterless brake and clutch kit. Are they any good? Anu and all help would be great. Thanks, danny

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Speed Tech makes an adjustable T56 cross member for our cars.

3. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Does the T56 have a decal atop the main case, or a metal tag held down with a rear-facing bolt? Codes help say what trans. it is and what bellhousing would best work. Lots of different T56s; lots of ways to put it together.

4. Dannyboy3366

Dannyboy3366 New Member

Its an m12. Over here in aus they came out of a late model holden. (Aussies chev) so its a t56 with closer gear ratios

5. black_aerocoupe

If it's the Monaro box with slip-yoke 27 spline, that's GTO around here. M12 is the wider ratio box compared to the MM6; great set of ratios with 2.97 / 0.57.

The Quicktime RM6023 is the most straight forward way to bolt it up; Or, a spacer can be used to accomplish the same thing; Not sure who offers that piece but Centerforce used to have it. Get the slave cylinder spaced so it operates the normal BBC clutch.

More shifter options are available if you change the Monaro/GTO shift lever under the shifter to the shorter one.

6. Dannyboy3366

Dannyboy3366 New Member

thank you very much for the info. thats a big help

7. black_aerocoupe

YW! Let us know how the build proceeds.