79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum. I usually hang out on the Pontiac forums since I'm a Trans Am guy. Go ahead, let me have it I can take it! LOL I just finished doing a lot of detail work on my 69 TA clone and picked up a new project to start on last week. It's an all original 1979 Z28. It has the original small block 350, 4 speed automatic transmission, interior, paint, and decals. I'm calling it "Fresh Start" for a couple reasons. First, she needs work to be brought back to her original glory. The engine is tired and weak, but runs....kind of. The tranny doesn't want to get out of 2nd gear and the engine races with no acceleration. Both will be rebuilt with better performance. 165 hp just ain't gonna cut it in today's world. The interior will be completely replaced along with some body panels. The second reason I'm calling this project "Fresh Start" is because I've been in the printing industry my whole life and never followed my passion for cars. I have an opportunity now to follow that passion with this project. My goal is to start my own restoration shop and give some classic muscle cars some fresh starts.

So here she is...Fresh Start.

I've already begun deconstructing the interior and have a list of parts ready to order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Welcome to the party, looks like a good foundation to start with.

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Always liked the '79 White w/ blue Z combo. Welcome.

4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Always liked the '79 White w/ blue Z combo. Welcome.

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

JMBZ - I've been in print for over 30 years, prior to that, I worked in our family body shop... Been thinking about heading back to restoration for a few years now... Building a 36 x 40 shop in the spring to start taking on some side jobs..
    Good luck!!

6. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

My family had a printing company on the near south side of Chicago, that's where I got my start. My cousin had an auto parts store in the same neighborhood and used to build his hot rods in the back. I wish I would have gone to work for him instead.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  7. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I secured a place to store my T/A and pulled the Z into the garage. I finally had a good amount of time to spend on her today and made some progress. I completely gutted the interior except for the dash. I'm sure we've all had our share of surprises when we pulled a carpet but I was pleasantly surprised at what I found...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found the second build sheet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. simso

simso Veteran Member

That is a good looking floor

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Welcome aboard I also have a 1979 Z-28 Looks like your car is an pretty good shape ,have fun with it

Attached Files:

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Were you able to free the Build sheet from stuckdom. I think you could float it off with warm ammonia water.