79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I have another bulk update. I got a few more items crossed off the list. I sprayed the front fenders with filler primer and sanded them to 220. As I was looking for a painter one of them told me any painter is going to prime and sand themselves so I was wasting my time doing here. So I didn't do any more, plus I was getting overspray all over my garage and floor. They came out nice. Here's some pics before sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got my motor back from the machine shop and it's looking good. I have a few parts that still need to be ordered but I have everything for the short block so I'll start on it this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The carburetor is cleaned. I'm waiting on a rebuild kit from Cliff Ruggles at Cliff's High Performance. I got a kit for my Pontiac 400 from him and it's one of the best Q-Jets I've run. This one is getting the same treatment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The transmission is out and hopefully going out to be rebuilt this week. It's the worst. It wouldn't go into third gear and just spun. I hope I don't need a new one and it just needs to be rebuilt. It looks good from what I see.

[​IMG]

Other things I did were to remove the windshield and rear glass, sort out interior parts that need to be replaced and restored, disassembled and cleaned the shifter, scuffed up the rear bumper and rear panel for paint, and pulled the heater core which looks really good like it was recently replaced. I was ready to send it out for paint this week put the painter I had lined up had a car crash through his shop and into his office. There was damage to some cars he had in the shop and he'll be about a month behind. Now I'm left without a painter and have to look for another one.
    :(

2. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Coming along nicely. I would wait on the painter if you know him. Heard of to many paint jail stories.

3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I don't know the painter. He was referred to me by someone I know. He spoke highly of him and his work. I'm looking for another referral from the owner of a local custom shop. I would like for him to paint it but he starts at $15G.

4. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Hey everybody, I know its ben a while since I posted an update. Things were on hold for a family emergency, everything turned out ok and I'm back at it.

SHE'S OFF TO PAINT!!! I found another painter through the same custom shop who referred the first painter. They know my situation and are working with me and gave me a great price. I got the car to them on Friday and they got to work right away touching up some spots on the doors and quarter panel with filler. It should be a couple more weeks till I get her back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My last post I put up some pictures of the engine back from the machine shop. I've been working on putting it together. After inspecting the valve covers and timing cover I decided to replace them. I went with some shiny stuff! An engine kit with chrome valve covers, timing cover, air cleaner, and dip stick was under $60. It wasn't easy finding the correct Chevy blue paint, every "Chevy engine paint" search came up orange. Every "blue engine paint" search came up Ford. I finally got some help from a parts store and found the right Duple-Color code for Chevy. The transmission came back painted blue, but it was Ford blue. I'm glad I got 2 cans of paint so I had enough to paint the trans. I also cleaned all the brackets and the power steering pump. They all got a fresh coat of semi gloss black. And I got a new alternator and water pump, and rebuilt the Q-jet. I finally got most of the pieces on today. The only thing left is the balancer and crank pulley.

The original pistons are back in...
    [​IMG]

SHINY STUFF!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned and painted the original fan, I think it looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

repainted fresh TH350. I hear these things are getting harder to rebuild because parts are becoming harder too come by.
    [​IMG]

I have my interior on order. I'm getting new seat covers and foam for the front and just covers for the back. There's a ton of panels and trim coming from Camaro Central. The covers, visors, headliner, package tray are coming From PUI. All I have to do is to find the right color blue vinyl paint that matches their interiors. The paint that I'm finding look more gray than light blue, but that could just be the picture on the internet. It could look different in person. I may have to order 2 different colors and use the one that matches the best.

I'll post more pics when I got more done.

mrfleet12 and serpent710 like this.
  5. serpent710

Coming out great. A shame all this work and you wont keep it.

6. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Thanks!
    True, but someone will enjoy it. I'm not a Camaro guy I'm a Firebird guy. Once I get a business going I'll be able to build my custom pro touring 68 Firebird. I already have it designed.

7. serpent710

Blasphemy..........Off with his head!!
    ;)

Francesco and jmbz28 like this.
  8. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I was wondering how long it would take before someone gave me crap about being a Firebird guy...LOL
    One rule I have about restoring cars to flip, never restore a car you want to keep until you can keep it!

serpent710 likes this.
  9. tjmugg

tjmugg New Member

Looks great. You went deeper than I did. Its a great feeling when spring rolls around in New England and you can fire it up and head out on long country roads. Get to enjoy all the work you put in over the winter. You better be careful, you may get attached.

jmbz28 and serpent710 like this.
  10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I got all my interior panels and vinyl dye in yesterday and I took the wheel wells to the blaster to blast off the old undercoating. I'm still waiting for the soft parts to come in. Today I took the motor off the engine stand and bolted on the transmission. Tomorrow I'll start painting the interior. The car was supposed to be in primer yesterday but I didn't get a chance to go see it. I'll post some pics as soon as I get some.

[​IMG]

serpent710 likes this.