79 Z28 + GTO LS2/6-speed + twins

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Dangerous Drew, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

GTFO!!!!

Is that accurate Drew??? :eek:

2. Dangerous Drew

Dangerous Drew Veteran Member

No, that's not correct. That was another motor I was looking at. Before I got this, I found a 70k mile LS1/T56/wiring/acc locally for $3200, and almost bought it. But then this car came up, so I bought the whole thing. I have the whole GTO here. ;) I got a smokin' deal on it, it was a buddies' car. I bought the engine/trans/turbo kit, all wiring, entire interior including the full dash and seats, and stock brakes - for less than the cost of the turbo kit. ;) 22k miles. The GTO currently has Wilwood brakes installed, a carbon fiber driveshaft, thumpin' stereo parts (though the Avic Z3 got stolen while at the body shop) - I did not buy those, I'm going to sell them for my friend (he's in Iraq right now).

I paid well more than $3200, but less than $7k. ;) I consider that a great deal for everything I'm taking off the car. My 79Z needs a serious makeover, and between the powertrain, interior, and brakes, it ought to be very nice. Now it's just a matter of making it all fit and work.

FWIW, my budget for this project is $10k, I'm still well under $7k and have yet to start selling any 79Z parts (the 4-speed, decent dash, console, seats, fuel injection / TBI, and other bits need to go away). I'll probably go a little over budget once I do wheels in a couple years, but I'm sticking to that for now.

Of course, this situation complicates my garage space, because I have 2 cars that don't run or steer stacked together. Last night I worked on disassembling the steering column for the GTO, so I can pull it out. Got down to one electrical connector (and found it in the service manual last night after I came inside). So I'm not only installing in the 79Z, but I'm disassembling the GTO (and trying to find places to put 'stuff', lol).

The whole thread that started me down this path is here:

http://www.planetlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  3. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you already know this, but you're gonna love that setup. Had the first USA kit sold in my 05 GTO, ran awesome. Instant spool, no extra engine compartment heat.

[​IMG]

Jody

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

under 7k for all that, you got a SMOKIN deal. I'll be following this with interest.

Tell your bud to stay safe over there, so he can come back and ride with his old motor again.