80 Z28 Rear Turn Signal Trouble With lights On

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by 2ndgenlov32, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 2ndgenlov32

2ndgenlov32 New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Hello Everyone. I'm wondering why my right rear turn signal works fine as long as I don't turn on park lights or head lights. When I turn on the park or head lights the turn signal goes from working fine to blinking my tail light. Also it's only on the right rear, all other signals work whether head light switch is actuated or not.
    Thanks

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Have you changed bulbs lately? I put the wrong bulb in once and had a similar issue.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Have you checked the wiring as well.?

4. 2ndgenlov32

2ndgenlov32 New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have changed bulbs recently. I thought that was my issue. I put a new bulb in and it fixed the issue for 2 seconds. Then it went back to blinking the tail light, with a very faint turn signal.

5. 2ndgenlov32

2ndgenlov32 New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yes I have checked the wiring, I didn't find anything that stood out.

6. 2ndgenlov32

2ndgenlov32 New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Will double check the bulb, could be wrong.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It sounds like a missing ground at the light. When the ground isn't there, power goes through the signal filament and then has to return through the tail filament . Find the ground, remove it, clean the area to bare metal, and reinstall it. Some lights don't have a ground wire. If yours is like that, the light fixture gets a ground by the screws that mount it to the body. In that case, clean the screws and metal that they contact.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm on the ground wagon with Gary, electricity trying to find the shortest path.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    There is only one ground circuit for the entire light system in the rear. (Black wire, grounded near the tail panel inside the trunk.)

If your left turn signal works, the grounding point itself is probably fine.
    Trace the ground wire (black) and turn signal power (dark green) from the right turn signal lamp through the harness to the grounding point and the connector at the driver's side.

Power getting to the turn signal with the headlights on may mean the socket is shorted internally.
    I've seen two filament bulbs sold with the contact points clocked wrong. (This caused a bridge across the two circuits in the lamp socket.)

Good Luck!

budro6968 likes this.
  10. 2ndgenlov32

2ndgenlov32 New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can't get it figured out. Going to double check the grounds. I also have new sockets to try if needed. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018