81 Rear Inner Side Panel Installation

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by DrPepper, Sep 21, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

It's been over a year since I removed the interior of my Z28. Trying to install the rear inner side panel, the arm rests. They have two holes in them that I thought were for screws, but there is no corresponding holes in the sheet metal. Are they supposed to be secured by screws?????
    The interior sail panels have screw holes and there are corresponding holes. And I know the sail panel fits over the arm rest panel.
    Could it be that the seat back and bottom are supposed to hold the arm rest panel in place?? And the sail panel helps hold the arm rest in place??

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this install.
    Guess I'll just put the arm rest's in place and hope the seat bottom and back hold them in place.

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just checked my quarter panels. There are only two holes for screws - One goes at the very bottom (attaches to the side of the interior, near the floor) and one is at the top attaches to the metal panel between the trunk and the vertical portion of the rear seat.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

That's what I thought. But I haven't been able to locate the corresponding holes in the sheet metal. I'll have to give it a closer inspection.
    Thanks for your feedback.

5. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I suppose its possible the factory worker didnt drill them - I havent heard of that happening before, but I suppose anything is possible. If you want, I can take pics of the hole locations in my car.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

CD, pics of your car would be a great help.
    And if you can, can you tell me how far the arm rest is from the metal. On mine, the bottom arm rest hole appears to be about 1 to 1.5 inches from the metal. And the top hole is about 0.5" from the metal. That just looks unusual.