'94 Firebird LT1 into '78 Camaro project back on

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Nice gauge cluster. I wanted to go that route, and ditch the old stuff, but the
    wife wanted to keep the car as stock appearing as possible. That meant going
    with the custom tail shaft that relocates the VSS and utilizes the speedo cable.

Tom

2. 78ls1Swap

78ls1Swap New Member

Ya, I thought about doing it that way, but like the look these gauges give. They're almost like having the original ones. You can calibrate them using the supplied hardware not having to have the pcm tuned for the correct speed tire size or gear. I had mine pcm tuned for that , but good to know it didnt need it.

3. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Clever engineering on the stereo..... But I think I would have cut up another dash, and mounted the ecm in a different spot ;)

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

You must not be married.;)

Tom

5. 78ls1Swap

78ls1Swap New Member

Really their isnt much of any room inside under the dash. Unless you get rid of the glove box completely. Or put it in the engine compartment, for me thats too cluttered. Best place is where he put it.

Sbca96- whats the part number and location of those for the radio?

6. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

I know the 1998+ Chevy S10 radiator overflow tanks are designed to have ECMs mounted on them, and for S10 swaps, the LT1's computer fits perfectly on top of them (same dimensions as the stock ECM). Just a thought.

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Not sure what you are asking, the Stereo part number?

I was under the impression the later PCM, 98+, were a different physical size.

Tom

8. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

I don't believe that's true on the S10s. The swap manual for LT1s recommends buying that overflow bottle from 98+ S10s for the first gen S10s when doing the swap because it (the ECM) supposedly bolts right on.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

During the moving around of things to place the new items, I moved the EVAP to
    the rear of the car, and removed the windshield washer bottle. The motor was
    on the drivers inner fender and I picked up a windshield washer bottle with built
    in motor from a salvage yard (don't recall what model now). The bottom of the
    bottle is angled similarly to the inner fender, and I wanted to keep the area that
    the EVAP/original bottle was located in to build the cold air box.

I finally got around to adapting the windshield washer bottle, I used a heat gun
    to bend the mounting tab over that extended out the bottom, so I could mount
    it onto the inner fender. I made a small bent piece of metal to hold the front of
    the bottle up over the EFI fuel lines. It came out ... ok. I even had a pigtail to
    fit the motor, left over from a 1998 Camaro V6 wiring harness I was given.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the record, here is the old placement of the washer bottle and you can see
    the pump on the fender :

[​IMG]

Tom

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member