'94 Firebird LT1 into '78 Camaro project back on

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Hey all .. not a lot going on with this project, each year she passes smog without a hitch and the wife enjoys driving the snot out of it. We recently drove the car to her parents house to recreate a picture she found with her dad and the car when he bought it in the early 1980's. We took a few with him and the car in the same position, and then with her and her dad and the car.

I had the pleasure of driving it back the 130 miles and it drives so nice! I miss the instant torque of the LT1, just don't feel that with the LS1 in my GTO. The exhaust note is intoxicating and its difficult to not play with the throttle some.

I hope this year we can direct some money set aside to bring her in for much needed paint and body work. I did what I could, but I think its time to have a professional step in.

I have also been side tracked after acquiring my dads 1969 Avanti II after his death, its sat for 20 years and needs much work.

Tom

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Tom, you're so funny...My Ls1 along with everyone else's would beat the snot out of a stock LT1...let alone what my LS7 would show you.

Had to get the LS bash in there...didn't ya. :)

3. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

Hi,
    I´m on the way to install the " Magnaflow 16828 " into my 1980 Camaro and have seen that you did it too.
    By the way, the documantation on your project is very accurate and for me very helpfull.

How big is the space between the mufflers of the "Magnaflow 16828" and the road ?
    Any difficulties on a farm track or field path ?

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Read what I typed again, notice I never said it was faster, or would "beat the snot" out of an LS, I simply stated the LT1 has instant response, whereas the LS does not. This is based on OWNING and DRIVING two LS1s (330 HP and 350 hp) and one LS3 (425 hp) as commuter cars for about 10 years now. I honestly expected the Corvette to be more responsive, but it too has a lag before much happens. Maybe its the DBW, I am not sure, but its there. Granted, once it DOES get moving, its insanely fast, too fast IMO.

But driving along on the highway, and driving around town stop light to stop light, and playing with the throttle the LT1 feels quicker and more responsive. This has been beaten to death and I have placed ALL the facts out there and they get ignored. Just keep in mind I have BOTH currently and I have chosen to install another LT1, rather than an LS, into my Dads 1969 Avanti which ISNT smog restricted here in California (it currently has a 1968 Corvette 327).

I haven't really driven it on any farm track or field path, but the system is basically a remake of the factory Z28 exhaust option you would have had on your 1980. Ground clearance is also related to spring sag or lowering springs and suspension rebound from worn shocks. All these things will play into if you bottom out. We are running a Hotchkis lowering spring set on the Camaro, along with Bilstein shocks. I could measure it for you, but to be honest it all depends on how your car sits.

Tom

5. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Seems like everyone assumes that these cars are being raced, I for one built my LT1 car for economical reasons, reliability, ease of programming, reliability, and I just downright wanted a nice cruiser that wouldn't break the bank. I accomplished those tasks with my faithful LT1, no regrets and looks nice too.

Joekool likes this.
  6. Lancaster

Lancaster Veteran Member

thank you for the info. Yes, really its depends on the shoks and the leafsprings. In mine they are
    genuine.
    But ... what is the reall difference between a Cat Back and a Hedder Back system ?
    Is the difference concerning the performance really big or is it irrelevant for a normal
    driver ?

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Hey all,

Hope all is well on the forum and everyone is getting along regardless of what engine their installing.

The LT1 '78 Camaro continues to be turnkey fun, and always a blast to drive. The wife continues to enjoy it as much as driving her 2008 Corvette LS3. It passes smog inspection without issue.

Her only gripe is the stigma she receives on the highway in either perception of the age of the car or appearance. People in new, but lower powered Honda's, Toyota's and Nissan's, tend to feel the need to pass her in passing zones, only to slow down after. Its annoying. If its the year of the car, and assumptions that it's a slug, nothing can be done, but if it's the tired paint, and body rot in the lower areas. That we can fix.

I've asked before, but I'll try again. Anyone have a shop they would recommend in Southern California that does GOOD yet AFFORDABLE body and paint work? Could even be lower Central California.

I'll reactivate my thread in the SoCal section as well.

Just an update.

Tom

8. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Tom,

Regrettably it's just downright expensive. I have paint experience, but did not really want to do the paint on mine. I went to a few shops to get estimates here in so-cal, I wanted the clip removed with doors, paint jams, reassemble and square up the nose, and do a quality paint job. Price for that standard was $10-$15k - Ouch. Needless to say, I'm going to bite the bullet and paint myself. The real work is in the prep, paint application is easy in comparison, particularly 2-stage paint. Not sure what your budget is, or if you are changing colors and will want jams painted, but to give you an example. A co-worker recently took his 66 Fairlane to Maaco (a certified shop that is insurance qualified/rated). To perform minor repairs, alignment, paint, and up to 40 hours of color sanding, and buffing was $5k. Unfortunatley, if you want the paint to hold up for years, especially if it is not garage kept, it is going to eat your wallet alive. . .

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

We are changing the color, but only slightly. Its currently white circa 1978, she wants it painted Arctic White circa 1995-2008 ish. I don't feel the door jams need to be done, other than the rust. Thats where I'm stuck. I don't know how to weld and it needs patch panels and spots welded, along with a spot on the bottom of the windshield corner.

Tom