'94 Firebird LT1 into '78 Camaro project back on

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 21, 2010.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

Not sure if the caprice tank would fit a 2nd gen. I am going to be putting an LT1 T56 into an 80 trans am for a friend and will either use the spectra tank or make up something myself with an in tank pump. Wont be for awhile, I am in the middle of building a 37 buick rat rod just for fun.

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

This project seems to stall more often then moving forward, but this week I
    made a huge stride forward - the tank is on its way. Working with RockAuto
    I got them to contact Spectra Premium and obtain sales rights to the '71-74
    EVAP tank. Up until recently they only had the '70 non-EVAP tank available.
    So they now offer TWO EFI tanks for 2nd Gen Camaros :

GM42AFI (1970 non-EVAP) is $318.79
    GM42CFI (1971-1974 EVAP) is $445.79

With shipping to my door it was $474, I will report back with what I get. From
    what I read its supposed to include the pump and wiring harness.....

Tom

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The tank arrived last week, Spectra doesnt box them completely and the
    filler neck protrudes from the box. It got knocked during shipping, so I have
    to straighten it (its only about 5 degrees off) and RockAuto offered to take
    care of any costs required to leak test it after. Their customer service has
    been excellent. The tank has the pump/sender already installed, along with
    the tubing running to the side of the tank, two EVAP hoses on the passenger
    side of the tank at the front and what looks to be wiring that will reach the
    front of the car (havent unraveled it to measure though).

So far so good, I need to drop the stock tank and test fit this one.

Tom

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Wow there are a LOT of connectors on these motors. The last engine that
    I pulled was a 1960 Studebaker V8 (about 7 years ago) and that was three
    wires on the Alt, one wire to starter and one wire to distributor. I have all of
    the wiring harness disconnected except the transmission main plug, I decided
    to leave that on until the day of the pull.

I am completely unfamilar with GM mounts, there is a bolt parallel to the ground
    that runs through the mount, if I remove that, does the engine move or will it
    just rest on the mounts? I know I can remove the rear mount without issue. I
    am leaning toward cutting the cross brace at the front of the Firebird and then
    pulling the engine normally out the top. I think I can use my trans jack under
    the pan and pull the engine forward, lay it on some wood in the engine bay to
    mount my leveler more securely to pull both together.

Tom

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

Only have to remove 4 electrical connections to pull the engine, all behind the passenger side kick panel..one black, one blue, one white, and the A/C evap temp sensor, then lay the PCM on top of the engine with that section of harness during removal. Have to remove both horizontal bolts to remove the engine, and you may have to remove one of the mount to block bolts to allow the long horizontal bolt to come out on the drivers side. I lift the engine up a little bit with the hoist while removing those horizontal bolts but normally the drivers side will not come out all the way without removing the mount to block bolt. You will understand what I mean when you go to remove it.

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I bought a Painless harness, so I am not using any of the factory one. That
    is why I just disconnected everything.

Good to know about the bolts.

Tom

7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

OK, its out, and it was a major pain, I cut the brace off like I mentioned and it
    was going great until the angle of the trans caused the trans jack to shoot out
    and the trans ended up on the floor! Then I had a crazy angle to work with in
    getting the engine back up. I left the driveshaft yoke IN the trans (wired into
    the opening so no fluid would come out) which protected the trans case. The
    TC cover got smashed, but didnt touch the TC. The pan has a VERY slight dent
    in it, I would even say dent, hardly noticeable .. but I see it. I didnt take any
    pictures of it, because it was a horrible experience. I do know that there was
    no way I could drop it out the bottom, I simply didn't have enough room. This
    way once I got the engine balanced and off the car, I was able to push the car
    backward onto the lawn and out of the way.... wheeew.

Its currently sitting on the ground with a wood block under the balancer, and a
    wood block under the trans pan. Does anyone see a problem with letting it sit
    on the ground like this? Should I set it on the trans pan and engine pan instead?

Tom

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Well, the pan was dented in the removal process, and I was told the pickup is in
    the back where the dent was, so I bought a pan gasket and pulled the pan, got
    a wood block or two and pounded it back out. Turns out the pickup is forward
    and wouldnt have been a problem. Oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it back together and started on the engine pull from the '78. Here is the
    old 305 waiting to come out :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I found out that my engine hoist would not reach the engine so I found out if
    I could get some "extra". I took out the chain and ran it out the end of the
    lift, giving me another 2 inches. Then I swung the hoist to the side near the
    license plate. I found a spot on the back wall of my garage to attach a 2000
    pound winch, my plan is pull to the hoist bottom with a 6500 pound capacity
    nylon pulling strap.

Here is the mock up :

Almost to the carb : I think with this setup it should come out. I am kicking
    around detaching the motor mounts from the subframe, and putting the two
    cross bolts back in, this will allow the engine to shift forward a good 3 to 4
    inches before its not on the subframe. I think this will be vital for getting the
    engine back in.

[​IMG]

Got me about an inch of room here, with the hoist strapped to the wall it will
    not be able to move forward and damage the bumper :

[​IMG]

A smile only a mother could love :

[​IMG]

Getting there, pretty much everything is disconnected, what isnt will tell me
    once the engine starts going up :

[​IMG]

Up on blocks to make the legs clear, I hope the lift can lift high enough :

[​IMG]

Earthquake strap, goes down into the foundation, I'm adding a lag bolt to get
    a better grip of the wall than the simple nails. Also there is the winch.

[​IMG]

This what I was talking about, remove these 4 bolts on each side (or is there
    only 3 bolts?) and then I can lift the engine from the front with the trans on
    my trans jack, and pull it forward with the winch, then lower it down on the
    very edge of the frame, grab the engine chain further back, put a bolt through
    to keep the hook from shifting and lift it out ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I decided that I didnt want to take the chance of allowing the car to rise up as
    I removed the engine, both because I would need to lift it higher, and also if I'm
    not able to get the LT1 in the same day, its not left riding a wheelie.

I bought a 36" long piece of 5/8 all thread from Home Depot, along with nuts, a
    few washers, and two pipe bases. I cut the 36 all thread in half, and removed
    the front shocks (pretty arent they?) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I put them in place of the shock and lowered the car back on the floor.
    I ended up not using the washer on top, the 5/8 fits snug and the washer hit
    the frame, putting tension on the threaded rod. Once the car was lowered on
    the ground, I left the jack under the middle, and pulled down on the car to
    tighten the nuts. Shouldnt go anywhere now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom