'94 Firebird LT1 into '78 Camaro project back on

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sbca96, Jun 21, 2010.

1. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

Nice, maybe a bit much but none the less awesome work.
    heres mine a few months ago before the finally deatailing.
    [​IMG]

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Thanks, it did come out good. I made a pattern of it if anyone is interested.

The plan is to box both sides, but leave an opening to grab cold air from in the
    front of the radiator on the drivers side. ;)

It was a serious effort, but now I can just buy stock 4th Gen hoses down the
    road (or in the middle of nowhere) and I have a nice spot for cold air.

Tom

3. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Oh, and for those watching this thread, the project stalled again due to some
    personal issues, and then because my crazy mortician next door neighbor who
    has been harassing my wife and I for the last 2 years, and who had to write an
    apology letter to us for it (after pleading a misdemeanor down to an infraction)
    got the HOA on us for doing a project in the driveway.:mad:

We have lived in this house since 1999, with the previous HOA President in the
    house across the street, and never had a problem. This bassclown moves in
    next to an obvious car guy and starts complaining about the cars. Idiocracy
    is clearly at work here, if you HATE cars, WHY buy a house next to someone
    who obviously has a car hobby??

So against my plans, I had to quickly strip the Firebird, junk it, and now I have
    to get the 78 Camaro into the garage before I can start back on it.

Tom

4. JmeZ28

JmeZ28 Member

That blows man. I hate people like that. I have told myself I'll never buy a house in a neighbor hood with a HOA! I can see if you was interrupting someones right to live a happy life, I would say they have a reason to complain. But come on working on your car in your own drive way how is that bothering them? Like I said I hate people like that. well good luck with that.

I like your project. I am in beginning stages of a LT1 swap as well I am also restoring the whole car along the way. I have a prgress thread over on Camarofourms.com. I'm thinking about doing a progress thread on here as well. I'm wondering if that is frowned upon?

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I dont see how cross posting your progress here would be frowned on. As far
    as the HOA, when we bought in 1999 the HOA President at the time lived on
    the opposite side of the cul-de-sac. We spoke with him regarding the rules
    and he explained that he is "live and let live" unless you are blantantly doing
    something that will reduce house values, he wont get in your business. Like if
    you had a car on the lawn on blocks or something ... with that input we went
    and bought the house. Fast forward to now, and we have a new President,
    who is not true to his word.

Regarding the neighbor, he can not see my driveway from his house, so there
    is an effort on his part to even view whats going on.

Tom

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Got the Avanti into the backyard, got the 78 Camaro into the garage so work is
    starting up on it again. I tackled the starter/alt wiring to get the car to crank
    over at least (hearing it make any noise is progress). I pulled the stock wiring
    apart (took the plastic Y splitter apart/pulled the wires out of the black tubing)
    to reveal a large taped spot. Took the tape off the found this was a way they
    did it back in 1978? There are 4 thick wires just crimped together and taped. I
    was thinking there was more complexity here, but I never saw anything like this
    even on my 1960 Studebaker. I guess it works, but wow! So I find one thicker
    wire that went to the solenoid from inside, one that used to go to the + starter,
    and the smaller one that went to the alt connector. These I kept, I snipped off
    the others. I then extended the one that went to the + starter (with the plastic
    inline fusible link) to reach my red 4th Gen power box. I cut the thick red wire
    that went to the solenoid inside the loom and extended it from same gauge wire
    I pulled from a 1998 V6 wiring harness (purple). I ran this to the starter from a
    run over the A/C box down the inner fender and straight to the starter from the
    side (similar to the B-body). I ordered a BWD PN #PT200 Alternator Connector
    from O-Reillys so I can wire the small wire for a stock look.

I am now able to crank the LT1 with the key inside the 78 Camaro. Yah, I know
    its not the same as it actually running, but its progress!

Tom

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Cut the Y-pipe at a few spots, I found the Y-pipe has molecular overlap with
    the 2nd Gen sub frame. The pipes need to tuck closer to the trans pan. I am
    mocking up something, but I need a two 2-1/4 pipe to 3 inch oval or round to
    combine the pipes. I was going to use the factory Y, but the Y is spread too
    far apart, I need a side-by-side merge. I saw one that Flowmaster makes, it
    still looks like a Y. I was looking at the IROC Y-pipe that uses a 3 inch on the
    crossover and dumps the passenger side into the top of the 3 inch tube. I am
    not sure I want to do that.

On to the fuel system, I snaked the stock 4th Gen plastic tubes up the drivers
    side behind the inner fender. Seemed like it was made for it. I connected the
    tubes to the engine. Next up is getting the intermediate tubes run under the
    car to the tank, and dropping the factory tank.

Tom

8. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Did the final touches under the hood for the 4th Gen fuel lines, removed the
    2nd Gen EVAP lines and ran the 4th Gen lines through the plastic holders. Put
    a bolt through the inner fender and the plastic trough the fuel lines are in to
    hold the assembly up out of harms way. Drilled a hole in the inner fender for
    the 4th Gen fuel line retainer clip. Didnt get the intermediate lines up under
    the car yet, perhaps tonight. Still need to drop the tank.

More thought going into the exhaust. Was looking at Vibrant merge pipes and
    also Flowmaster. Not sure I want to spend the 70 or so bucks. I think that I
    should be able to mod the stock 4th Gen Y to work. Will have a cut done here
    at work and see. I was shocked to see how restictive the stock Y is. GM did
    not bother to clean up the inside at all. I will dremel out extra material.

Tom

9. JmeZ28

JmeZ28 Member

hey do you have any pics of the clearance issue your having with the y pipe. I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about using the stock manifolds and I have a 4th gen y pipe I was thinking about using as well. I don't have the cats though. I will need to get some :( I have to pass emissions here is CO.

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

I didnt get pictures of the interference, it wasnt possible to hold the y-pipe in
    the air and take pictures. The mod I am doing is based on this picture :

[​IMG]

I eliminated one of the bends he kept though : hope it works out.

Tom