!971 standard steering wheel question.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Nov 9, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I looked at a 71 z/28 yesterday [in balmy 14 degree weather] only a couple miles from home.I've known it for the 20 years I've been here- been in pole barn since 80's-it ain't going any where :( Anyway VERY original car with smog,under hood etc .While looking inside I saw the 2 spoke wheel had "Chevrolet" on the pad not Camaro.I see a nice blue 71 z on ebay pretty original with same pad.I walked years ago on a wheel that also said Chevrolet that the guy swore came off his 71 standard Camaro.I have a deluxe pad I took off a 72 years ago and it says Camaro on it.Just curious if 71 has Chevrolet pad-seems so? I don't own a 71 but I have to admit the 2 spoke wheel kinda looks cool on the interior!
    Its not going anywhere,the only reason I got to see it again was his 54 jeep plow wouldn't start after sitting over the summer and he pimped me to look at it,he did show me what he says is a 64 max wedge dodge d100 pickup in the corner-again not my thing,but stuff is out there.Later Steve!!

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Did you take any pics? :smokin:

3. 72'z'steve

I MAYBE need to get with the 21st century,I still use my taped together flip phone/I've never sent a text-blah blah blah-I just don't want to turn into my friends who's faces are glued to them and don't even talk to each other anymore,BTW the guy who owns the stuff is more paranoid than I am,he'd probably have a fit IF I wanted to take a pic or two-The only reason he "let" me in the pole barn again was HE needed something from me-get his jeep going-file the points and clean the inside of the cap- Vrooom Vrooom.I still like the look of that 2 spoke plastic steering wheel though! Later Steve!!

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is the steering wheel that was on my 71 Z28 which I bought in 1975 for $3,000.
    96F6E0C6-87C1-4DC0-97B7-2F55A6A77714.jpeg

5. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. 72'z'steve

Whats strange is the "Chevrolet" or "Camaro" on them,I have a woodgrain pad from a 72 I removed in the 80's that says Camaro,and there is a 1971 base 350 Camaro on ebay with deluxe interior that has same woodgrain pad with Camaro on it.Maybe its a deluxe interior thing,no biggie just curious after seeing the 71 z the other day,[it was std interior BTW] and that blue "original" 71 z on ebay Thanks for the info Later Steve!!

7. Zclassic

Zclassic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My first car was a '71 Camaro with a 307 and a glide. It had the padded horn shroud with Chevrolet on it.

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 2 spoke was the standard steering wheel in 1971, if you had deluxe interior it wood of had woodgrain on it. The 4-spoke was the optional steering wheel starting in 1971.

This picture if from a 1971 Camaro with 495 original miles.
    $_3 (21).JPG

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's what my 71 looks like except there is a RS on it

10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

How old is the picture?