!971 standard steering wheel question.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Nov 9, 2019.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2014, according to properties of the photo... I didn't take the picture, just saved it from the person selling the car in 2018.

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Amazingly low miles. Are there other pics of that car posted on the net somewhere?

3. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

So it appears that the standard interior cars got "Chevrolet" on the pad and the woodgrain deluxe said "Camaro"?,Check out the 71 blue base Camaro on e-bay with deluxe interior says Camaro on the pad like the one I pulled in the 80's. My 72 has the nk-4 wheel but that standard plastic wheel really does something for me after seeing it on that z last weekend,If the pad is supposed to be Chevrolet,it would seem more opportunity to find one! Thanks Steve!!

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure if they are on internet? I copied/saved them from eBay I believe. There is a post about the car on NastyZ28 somewhere. It was a silver 1971 standard sport coupe, no performance options IIRC.

5. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

in 72 I bought a 72 Z28 with deluxe interior and it had the single bar steering wheel with the Chevy logo , now I have a original 71 SS and it has the four spoke steering wheel and from what I read that was a option wheel at that time.

6. 72'z'steve

I dug out the pad I have removed in the 80's from a 1972 norwood base car with deluxe interior,I never cleaned it up as removed,looks like a lot of left handed driving from the wear!!I thought I'd share-Later Steve!!

Attached Files:

7. Ote

Ote Member

The wheel on my '71 Z just says "Chevrolet". I'm the original owner and purchased it new with "standard" interior, so no wood grain.
    20180401_103730.jpg

70 SS/L78 and 1972original like this.
  8. 72'z'steve

VERY nice,I love the column shift,I remember in the 80's in a junk yard a tilt column shift 70/71Camaro,I thought they probably didn't make many of those!!That 2 spoke wheel is really growing on me!Thanks for sharing-Steve!!

9. Ote

Ote Member

Yeh, I was poor when I bought the car (still am), so not many options, including no floor console shifter. So it's now the fairly rare automatic with shifter on the column. Like you say, probably not many of these left. I suspect the original 2 spoke steering wheel is a little hard to find and pricey, but I don't know that for certain.

10. 72'z'steve

They are out there,as it seems with the "Chevrolet" pad it opens the available models ones can resource,I passed on that one because of the pad,I should have believed the guy :( Many of those plastic wheels did crack,bake,heck that's why I only took the pad off that 72 and that was 35 years ago original parts are hit or miss it seems-I have a 67-68 black standard camaro wheel that is in very nice shape,I've had for 35 + years and no-one wanted it when I was offering it for what I consider cheap,I threw the standard non tilt column it came from away as I couldn't even give it away on CL- Great conversation-Later steve!!