a carb on an lt1??? Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE???

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by angelz28, May 8, 2008.

1. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As far as I know, I could be wrong, but since the LT1 uses reverse flow you cannot use the traditional Gen I water pump. Just use the stock water pump and electric fans. There is a version of the LT1 that did use a fan on the Caprice.

http://www.theherd.com/articles/lt1_cool.html

http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/aer-flo/

I would suggest stop trying to complicate things. You can use a carburetor on an LT1. GM makes an intake and replacement timing chain cover to accept the changes. The engine will accept a normal distributor once the new intake has been placed on it along with the removal of the stub shaft that looks a lot like the end of a distributor. Read more about the LT1 to understand it better.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2429/rebuilding_the_chevrolet_lt1_enige.aspx

2. angelz28

angelz28 Veteran Member

thats pretty cool info thanx

3. Silkesvarten

Silkesvarten Veteran Member

I'm modifying a LT intake for use on my old SB. I have several options regarding ECM and some of them can be used without the distrubutor. But I must have a drive shaft for the oilpump. My plan was to cut and machine a old dist. The stub shaft on the LT1 engine how is it fixed to the block ? Any pics ?

Olav

4. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

A little late but you dont need to do anything to the motor in regards to the oil pump just remove the plastic pump shaft in the lifter valley and pull it out it bolts on with one bolt. and then your stock chevy distributor will go down to the stock chevy oil pump shaft the oil pumps are the same in the lt1 as the gen 1 block. i know i have a lt1 that can run a dist if i want but decided to give the opti its fair chance before I go that route but my motor and intake are all ready for a distributor.

5. Silkesvarten

Thanks! But my question was removing the distrubutor on my old SB and ony using the LT1 stub shaft. I will be using a crank trigger so I dont need the distributor for anything else than oil pump shaft.

If I can use the stub shaft from a LT1 enginde there will be no need to machine the LT1 intake for distr.

Olav

6. RaycerX81

RaycerX81 Veteran Member

I would use that motor the way it is and just get a kit from painless for the computer. You got cast iron heads that follow better than the aluminum heads. And with a port and polish they will out flow them by a mile. The B-body LT1 put out more torque than the vette and Fbody. These motors are beasts with the right computer tune. And if you take care of it, they last for ever. there are guys in the ISSCA with 400+K miles on original motors still going strong. one guy hit 500k and pulled the motor for a refresh, his machine shop was shocked that all the cylinders bores still had the cross hatches still on them. They couldnt believe that that motor had 500k on it.

I love the LT1. I drive one everyday.

7. Silkesvarten

This was my question. I have an old CSB and using the LT1 intake. But the stub shaft mounting is it only a drilled hole ? Any picks ?

Olav