A Couple undercar questions

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by bigdav160, Aug 30, 2014.

1. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

A aquired my Z28 long ago. It was a washed up drag car sold to a kid that intended to turn it into a bomber car. I traded a TBI 350 engine for the shell with front sheet metal and front subframe.

Anyway, there was rust in the rear quarter and valance. I could tell from the brazing that it had been hit, in that corner, long ago.

I finally put the '50 Coupe back on it's frame and put the Camaro on the rotisserie. It looks like the body shop torched out the last foot of the rear frame rail and poorly grafted on another piece. The rest of the rail is solid. Replacing the whole rail looks like a complete PITA. Would it be acceptable to cut this back past the buckling and section the rail?

Also I noticed the brackets along the floor board. On my Corvettes these support an exhaust heat shield. Are these reproduced?. If not anyone have a pic so I can duplicate some.I will be running headers so maybe they will be in the wrong place. Anyone know?

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sure... You can cut it off neatly and redo the frame graft. It will be quite a bit of work but far less work than replacing the whole side.

I don't recognize those brackets. Where are they?

3. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Left side of pic is the trans tunnel and the top, the firewall. I have them on both sides, although, in slightly different positions.

Edit, those two brackets are really on the toe board but there are a couple others on the floor pan

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. jlsug

jlsug Veteran Member

There is no heat shields being reproduce for 1972- 73 camaros so i made my own[​IMG][/IMG]