Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by dwright406, Jun 7, 2011.
I really like your 70!
It's a long work to do.. Of course I'm subscribed to this tread!
Materials started showing up today.
So far we have the order from SPI; primers, sealer, etc.
And I decided it was time to upgrade my spray gun.
My old gun did a fine job on my '70, but I did have a couple of drip incidents with it in the past that I didn't want to deal with on this project, so I bit the bullet.
The new Iwata in front of my old one..
The old one is a LPH300, I have been wanting a reason to buy a 400.
Here are my primer guns:
The IR on the left is a recent garage sale find, snagged it for $20.
The one on the right is my old cheap primer gun I bought off ebay years ago for like $15 with a brand new aluminum cup I bought at Harbor Freight yesterday for cheap.
The kicker is both guns are identical inside and out, even the cheap HF aluminum cup is exactly the same as the IR save for the badging.
hey i want those rear flares if you cut em off, i have a road race style car im wanting to do, and thaose flares would really help!!!! pm me please!!! thanks
So I start carving out the passenger side quarter panel trying to find metal.
Above the wheel arch the mud is about 3/4" - 1" thick, but I get around the back side of the wheel well and dig and dig, there's a good size dent back there that they didn't bother pulling out, they just caked a few inches of mud in it and called it good.
As I'm grinding through the layers I can see numerous air bubbles, pin holes, trash that was mixed in with the filler. It wasn't pretty.
Some of the bottom layers of filler weren't mixed with hardener and just peeled right off the metal.
Here is how it's looking:
And then the UPS truck pulled up and left me with all this:
Here is where we stand as I call it a night...
Primer will be flying soon.
One tip that might help speed things up and save on your air compressors would be investing in a larger electric buffer/grinder. We zipped my whole shell down in a few hours with a couple of 80 disc pads.
My sister got married this weekend, so no progress at all yesterday.
Today I put in a good chunk of work though.
Uncovered some filler in this corner of the roof.
About that thick
Someone tried pounding it out from the inside.
At the end of today we're looking like this.
keep up the good work.
As of now the front and rear glass is out, and both doors are off.
This area in the roof was previously filled with filler instead of pulling the metal out. It took me 8 studs and about 15 minutes of massaging to get the metal back to 90%, I'll get it a little closer before primer goes on.
There was some filler in the trunk rail area above the license plate. 2 studs later and it's back where it should be.
Drivers side door jam is stripped
Tomorrow I finish stripping the passenger side door jam and the rocker panels. Then it goes outside for soda blasting in a few nooks and crannies that I can't reach otherwise, then it should be time for epoxy primer.