A mouse mansion in the ductwork

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by ale81, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ale81

ale81 New Member

First off, thanks to all who contribute to this forum! I thought I'd make my first post something that might help other folks that may have a similar problem...and I think some of you might get a kick out of this particular problem/solution. I haven't been satisfied with the A/C on my '81 since I bought it (original style equipment but converted to R134 by previous owner) so I went through the the system to "redo" the conversion. Drained the compressor, flushed lines, new o-rings, new accumulator and orifice tube, etc. Pulled 30 inches of vacuum for longer than necessary and refilled with appropriate type/volumes of oil and refrigerant. The gauges were spot-on once I was finished but the A/C just didn't blow as cold as it should. I've done a fair amount of conversions before and I understand the limitations of R134 in a system designed for R12 but it just wasn't quite right. The volume of air wasn't great either and I had attributed that to an old blower motor and poorly sealed duct system. Also, the hot/cold lever wouldn't go all the way to hot...felt squishy/spongy when I tried to put it over to hot but it's summer in Houston so who cares... I'll fix the cable later right? I got to work on addressing the duct system and I removed the large duct that exits the heater box behind/beside the glove box and turns up and goes to the the dash ductwork. I found my issue: a mouse mansion in the heater box. This was no ordinary mansion, only the biggest and best for Texas mice...a full on 1 cubic foot fat rat crib at the corner of Evaporator and Heater Core street. The mansion has been temporarily relocated to my garage floor; 15/16 wrench for scale:
    EFB2B161-CB2B-4911-893B-8A449F577CFA.jpeg FE6665C0-0E9E-4829-8DFE-8FDBBAF45C98.jpeg All of that was in the heater box crammed against the evaporator core and the blend door. No wonder the temp knob was spongy. A/C fixed.

gpm6367, BillyDean7173 and dave@ztech like this.
  2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the site. Wow they do grow things big in Texas

3. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's nothing
    My passenger rocker panel was full of feed corn
    Had to be 10 pounds in there
    Previous owner had a horse

budro6968 likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

That was just getting started. No seeds and nuts cracked open yet.

5. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Bought a 50 pound bag of corn for deer feeding purposes. It came with mice inside. They ( it) rode around in the box of my truck for a couple of weeks and filled my slightly open tool box with corn. Dumped the corn but the mice remained in the box of my truck ( tonneu cover) with nothing more than a small tool box in the the truck bed. Where these little b*sturds were hiding is beyond me. I had to trap them. They can be quite destructive and can smell up an interior with their urine- horrible smell. Buddy had a snowmobile that would not rev past 1500 rpms. Spent numerous hours tuning/carb rebuild/ stator output/ plugs/ wires/ gas/ fuel pump/( you get the picture) The muffler was completely full of dog food. Okay, thats my mouse story-- carry on.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  6. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Just saw this post, those little ba$tards got into the trunk of my daily which is a hybrid and went through the hybrid cooling duct work and proceeded to chew through the plastic vent opening on the interior of the car next to the drivers rear seat.. found mouse droppings and pieces of plastic on the back seat. Took a while to figure out where they were getting in, finally blocked the opening with 2 layers of fine wire mesh.. Starting to get cold out again, so we'll see how that holds up..

7. ale81

ale81 New Member

Wow y'all...sounds like I had it easy!

8. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

I was driving my 69 GTO and 2 babies dropped out from above glove box somewhere. I always kid that the car gave birth to 2 mice.

Ended up gutting entire interior to chase those buggers out. Big nest under rear seat where a previous owner stuffed house insulation presumably as sound deadened. Spent entire summer cleaning and sanitizing. 43D15F78-3AAB-4B52-B000-9A60529EA067.jpeg 7D345EE0-60A7-46C1-8679-D341EF1E0C95.jpeg 668A66AF-C6F3-4D4C-81F1-75DCFBD5E8A7.jpeg