a what's it worth? 1970 12 bolt

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I've got a 3.07 open 12 bolt under my 71 camaro. it's got a richmond lock rite installed. just bought a 2.73 12 bolt posi out of a chevelle that's had its brackets and eyes cut off. I like the posi over the lock right, the ratios are close enough so I'm thinking it might be worth installing camaro perches on the chevelle 12 bolt and sell the camaro 12 bolt.
    So, what's it worth? it can be test driven. jim

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

to the right buyer....$300-400 .... to many others.. $150-200

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If it is a 1970 Camaro 12 bolt, I'd have to double or triple Fbirds prices at least. If is a converted Chevelle 12 bolt, the value is less.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

As the years go on...I think camaro 12 bolts are not as valuable as they once were. Seeing the you can easily get an aftermarket 9” or 12 bolt that will bolt in with ease and be stronger...why spend $1500-$2000 for a factory 12 bolt that needs a rebuild and a desirable gear ratio installed. Most people including myself don’t want one for “correct restoration reasons”. That crowd is actually thin...the desire was for strength and performance. When you can get a Moser with Torino ends, axle tubes welded, new Eaton etc...I don’t see the appeal anymore. 10-15 years ago I would have, but not now.

I think a worn out 12 bolt would sell for $800-$1000 and to someone who does need it and it’s correct #s, could be $1500+. I honestly think it wouldn’t be as easy to sell as you think.

I would just install the posi in your camaro 12 bolt. Much easier than welding brackets on.

70-camaro likes this.
  5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

FYI, I bought my 12 bolt with a thick 4.88 & posi for $600 2 yrs ago. Sold the 3 series posi & Mr Gasket cover for $350.
    The new gears, posi, & powdercoating was another $450.

6. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

The Camaro 12 bolt is definitely worth more than the Chevelle one;
    For the Camaro rear, the real value is in the original install/configuration and perch type;
    I recently found out that some 1970 Camaro's have five leaf springs (because I was in the market for one of these), and those cars had perches to accommodate this;
    All the Firebird 12 bolts (an I believe a great deal of the Camaro units) have perches for four leaf rear springs.
    So, the perch style affects value.

BUT(!) the most important factor in assessing value is the stamped code, denoting the original gear/differential type.
    This is because as point out earlier, who really wants to spend big bucks on an fifty year old rear end (err, housing!), when it's going to need to be rebuilt ect - only the better geared original three series posi rear ends are going to get the good money, and those are going to go to people restoring 1970 Camaro SS's & Z28's, as well as 1970 Firebird Formula's and Trans Am's.
    I believe the code will indicate perch type.

I ended up buying a 3.07 open diff rear, and found a nice (unused/rebuilt) 3 series posi with a full install kit - but upped the ante to get the gear set I really wanted (instead of the newer used 3.73:1 Richmond set the posi came with.

Anyone want an unused set of Richmond 3.73:1 gears?
    (part #49-0039-1 iirc)

LOL!

To elaborate on the code;
    On the top of the passenger side tube (as installed in the car), roughly in the middle of the tube, should be a three letter code denoting the original gear set/type;
    The original one for my car was a COW (four leaf perch; 3.55:1; open)
    The one in my car (as I bought it) was a COX (four leaf perch; 3.55:1; posi)
    The spare that I bought was (I believe) a COU (four leaf perch; 3.31:1; open)
    IMG_5430.PNG IMG_5429s.jpg

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

only reason I have a 12 bolt is it's what I always wanted for the car. back when I was 16, I wanted a big block, th400, 12 bolt. 41 years later its got a big block th400 and a 12 bolt.
    it's a shame they cut the ears off the chevelle housing. I can always leave it as is and use it as trade material. Or keep it in case I find a first gen camaro or another nova. I ran a chevelle rear in my 71 nova. Just install the right perches and it worked great. jim

8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I believe the Chevelle twelve bolt does have a slightly different out to out length.

And I get it.
    My car is a twelve bolt car;
    I had a brief ride in a 3.90:1 geared (1968) Ram Air Firebird, and since that brief ride, I've had it in my head to get that gear set in my car.
    I am actually building my car around the pretense of being eligable for the 'Pure Stock Musclecar Drags', so I might as well set up a 12 bolt with that set;
    While my COX has almost no miles on it since it was rebuilt with new gears, I can't justify taking it apart to run different gears - especially since I am not certain that I'll want to leave the 3.90 set in my car (I plan to drive it)... so I'll keep both so that I have the option to swap one for the other!

Hair-brained right?!?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  9. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

heck I see these 1500 dollar estimates. I was going to say do you guys think its worth 1000. jim

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Big difference in asking price and actual selling price

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019