A word about polyurethane bushings

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Lowend, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

NYET! go all Poly or rubber they dont react nor wear the same

2. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

The trouble is the rubber these days is deteriorating rapidly. My friends run an alignment shop in Visalia. Even the top quality Moog bushings are crumbling away after only 3-6 months of service.

Most likely offshore rubber without all the added polymers for heat and ozone resistance.

And with that, I'm running urethane. However, I measure each mounting location on the car and machine the urethane and steel sleeve to fit that location precisely. The result is an LCA that will rotate down under its own weight when torqued...Robert

3. jondebo

jondebo Veteran Member

I've had PST Polygraph's since 2000

.....I've never heard them squeak and there is very little deflection.

4. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I run all stock-style rubber on my car with the exception of solid body bushings because of my sfc's

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can see this just workin on my own. All of the oem rubber I took off my 79 to replace with new parts was totally serviceable, it could have continued to be used if one wanted to. Even the best Moog bushings are made in Mexico not USA now...will have to see how they hold up. Chinese rubber falls apart in months

6. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

The thing I find as funny, is many people are saying they hear squeaks with polyurethane or Polygraphite. I have had them on the two 1970 SS 396 Camaro's I have owned L-78 & L-34 (with headers) and how can you hear the squeaking with the laud exhaust. Even driving slow I never heard much of a squeak. My hearing is OK too. Unless most of you have 6 cylinder or small V-8 camaro's.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Holy thread resurrection.

Sometime they don't, often they do. The more you drive the car the more likely it will happen. Glad you have a good experience with them. Many don't.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I'll bet that is a high durometer nylon/teflon. They use that in the real expensive heim joints. It slides nicely on a rounded surface but, does wear out eventually.
    Probably the same stuff they use in artificial hip sockets.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    John Wright likes this.