About to pull the car apart

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by SPG, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Good point. On my 74 when I installed a fender patch on the original fender I found rust staining on the steel when I stripped what looked like solid problem free paint over foot away of any other corrosion.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

depends what you want as an end product, but you probably should take the car down to metal, I found some surprises when i blasted my 1970, which led to some metal replacement.

there are a LOT of project builds here, good reading. Start by doing your homework on each part of the project, and keep moving forward. these projects have a tendency to stall a bit. Do something each day, no matter how small.

SPG and hubedobeedo like this.
  3. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

take your time and absorb the recommendations ,lot of good ones.i built a steel square tube dolly with steel casters and spent about a year getting to point of being able to start building the subframe and rear suspension.you really need to have a clear defined path towards the finish, and i mean that in a couple of ways just to help ,hopefullly not go backwards. you can check out my build in project progress its update on 71 progress. not done yet but i work on it when i have time(bought in 2008). good luck show more pics and dont hesitate to ask questions.

giggity and SPG like this.
  4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    SPG likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The dustless blasting people came to where my car was and did it for $35 per hour , I put down a large tarp to catch the water and sand and then rolled it up and threw it away , I taped up car before they arrived to prevent sand from going into placed I wanted to prevent , and I pulled the hood, doors and fenders and let them blast them as separate pieces took 8 hours and it was done , then cleaned well and into the epoxy , it was a lot quicker then machine sanding and cleaner then paint spripper

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

wow! 35 an hour is awesome!!

agree dustless blasting was best way to get down to metal!

7. AllGoNoShow

AllGoNoShow Veteran Member

Dave-

Any other thoughts on the dustless blasting? Pros/cons?Found a guy locally who does the same thing (has a trailer with all the equipment on it and he comes to you). I heard second hand that it is about 600-800 bucks for him to come and blast a whole shell/car.

8. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Interested as well.

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would suggest calling the guy, and agree on an hourly rate or an amount for the service, and then talk to them about what they want to see taped up, I would suggest that you be ready to get it into protective primer soon after blasting, I spent one day cleaning up the sand when the tape had failed and let sand into the car, doors were off , other then that it was sooooo much better then hand sanding or striping with chemicals , perhaps ask to watch them do a job to get a better idea.

10. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

If I can get a guy to come to me I'll consider it, but so far I haven't had any luck. If I didn't move I would have had an easier time I'm sure.