access door in trunk floor for a tanks inc efi conversion tank.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Brian, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

Has anyone ever cut or installed an access panel in the trunk floor to access the pump assembly on a Tanks Inc. efi conversion tank? I have seen assemblies that allow you to cut out an area of flat sheet metal in a trunk floor for the purpose of gaining access to the pump and related hardware so you wouldn't have to lower the tank. I thought this was a great idea and was planning on doing this seeing as I am finishing work on sheet metal replacement. However after looking at pictures of the pump location and the actual shape of the trunk floor, it would seem there is no flat space available to do so. Looks like you would have to fab one up to follow the contour of the trunk floor instead of using one of the available universal units. Just wondered what others may have done and if you had pictures?

2. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I know of someone who did.
    http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=56613.0
    Since photobucket broke links, not sure how you can see pics. He did a access door with a 4th fuel bucket.
    His username on transamcountry is the same one he uses on LS1tech and a few other forums. Try to pm him, I’m sure he will send some pics if he has them.

When I did my tank FI swap, I had the top of my tank recessed so fuel bucket and lines did not touch trunk.

Best of luck!
    Leon

3. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I have done the access door on my 70. I took detailed pics and could offer some advice. If interested, pm me with your email and I will send images. Too many to post here.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

It's so easy to drop the tank, why would you cut up your car?

dale68z likes this.
  5. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought the dse kit. It would be really easy to cut the pieces yourself and do your own thing, but I got lazy and bought their pricey kit. Anyway, it works great and saves you time when wanting to change out your fuel pump.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I agree, I got the DSE cover for ease...but I DID NOT install it. Its not shaped nor big enough to put in the trunk, be centered and allow the ZL1 module to be removed. Ill just drop the tank "if ever" the pump goes bad. Which I don't see it happening for decades.

7. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

well the process of dropping the tank may seem easy enough but having to balance a possible full tank of gas on a jack, disconnecting fuel lines, and electrical connectors etc., laying on the floor, does not sound appealing. much easier to open the trunk, pull back the carpet, and wala, easy peasy.

8. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

exactly what i was thinking, less fab work but after looking at pictures, didn't seem like the needed location would lend itself to using a premade access door such as the one from DSE.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Oh I totally get it. If you haven't had one out, it is easy to talk yourself out of doing it. But, it's like every other thing we all take on with cars and trucks. Once you do it, you wonder what you were ever worried about.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

2nd gen is a breeze compared to a third gen. First got my 88, for preventive maintenance, I dropped the tank for a new pump - dropped the rear end, removed exhaust system, jacked the car up about 4ft off the floor, invented a couple new cuss words still to get it out and back in. Last summer, time for a new pump, I cut the hole - even though the third genners threaten death to anyone who does this.