access door in trunk floor for a tanks inc efi conversion tank.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Brian, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I believe I have the same set up as you and mine fits/works fine. Maybe they changed the design? It is a little off center of the tank opening, but plenty of room to change out the pump...

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Pics?

3. badazz81z28

Totally depends on the tank. Like my Ricks Vapor Works Tank, you can disconnect the harness and pull the fuel QD rather easily because of the channel built into the tank. I have also lower it with a jack which I have done with fuel in it. It is cumbersome and I would rather have the access door, but I'm too much of a perfectionist and would like the removable cover to be neatly centered in the trunk for appearance and it cant if I want the room I need to pull the module. It would have to be off-set towards the passenger side.

4. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

DSCN1430.JPG fuel tank.jpg I completely get wanting the aesthetics of an access door to look "right". Nothing worse than seeing someone cut a hole in a truck bed or floor then fiberglass, seam seal or whatever just to cover it up. If you compare the tank in the picture to the picture of the trunk floor, it looks as if there is no good spot, or at least level spot to put a access door. I suppose you could cut out the section needed very carefully then fab a frame around the two pieces and create your own vs a universal type, but with the multiple bends, it just won't be as simple to put in. Especially considering how many times you may actually need the access. However removing the handful of tanks, truck beds etc in my time just so I could access the pump, fuel lines, and electrical connections, a access door would have been greatly appreciated lol. Kind of like putting a drain plug in a transmission pan, not necessary but very useful.

5. badazz81z28

Oh yes...Much more complex than my 70 which is completely flat.

6. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Lots of great info here. I’ve dropped my tank 3 times in 8 years. 1st time to install new tank with recessed mount for 4th gen LS1 bucket, 2nd time to swap out flexible lines (gas vapors) for rigid copper nickel, and last time to fix a loose/damaged fuel sender ground wire. It’s not the easiest but if you’ve done it once, it not that hard. Plan ahead.

OP- I’d read up on tanks Inc products. I have not read one positive review after installation. I’ve read of “less than half a tank starvation” and “bad pumps”. Remember sucking air is death to fuel pumps. If you can’t or don’t want to pay big bucks for a tank setup, look into the 5th gen camaro vaporworks swap. OEM part/reliability. Personally I am using the 4th gen and it works flawless. Older 2nd gen tanks are shallower and that is where the 5th gen pump works best.

7. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

To be honest I too had read some negative reviews, especially when the first spectree tanks came out. I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that the tanks now have a tub the pump sits in to help with the starvation? I think they and others are referring to it as a baffle but pictures I have seen of cutaways looks as if it is a tub they are using for baffling. prod_ssh_1079_460.jpg It seems almost all the manufacturer of "kits" are using the Tanks Inc tank and then applying their fuel pumps and sender units. Some have billet hats, walbro pumps etc., but in most, looks as if they are using the same mass produces universal parts that are most likely being made or sold by tanks? (I don't know who stamps or produces their product but it does appear to be mostly the same product.) I see Aeromotive, Hyperfuel, Holley, all use what looks to be a Tanks Inc. tank. Would you or others then think this tank set up could be suitable for a LS conversion? I like the recess to the tank for the pump etc. and it looks much more leak proof than what I probably could do if I was trying to do that with a stock tank. Not to mention the time savings. Maybe you could use the Aeromotive Phantom works set up with this tank, its similar in design as a OEM setup?

8. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

I wouldn’t buy if I was you. I wouldn’t trust any new “gimmicks “ either. My OEM tank, no baffles, stock GM fuel bucket..no issues down to 1/8 tank. Factory GM designed the bucket to work with the engine. Check out vetteworks.com

They have mounts that allow
    you to use factory 4th or 5th gen bucket. Tooooo freaking easy. I’m 6 years on my fuel bucket swap, no issues.

Look at the little pan the tanks inc has, do you think the pump will suck air when you go around a corner and have less than 1/2 tank? The factory GM bucket is submersed in fuel all the time. It draws from that source when you go around a corner, accelerate hard, or low on fuel.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  9. badazz81z28

What makes you think Tanks INC owns the products? Regardless...I've learned over the years to NOT be cheap! It always cost more later...If I wanted a stamped stock like tank I would go to Ricks Hot Rod. High quality and NOT a single bad thing to say about their products.

10. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cover centered in trunk. pump access a little off center, but easily reached. Ricks Tanks...

trunk1.JPG trunck2.JPG

dave@ztech likes this.