actually did some work on the camaro today

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

been flip flopping on doing a engine swap between the camaro and the 66 chevelle. my camaro used to be a daily driver, drove it everywhere then installed a 6-71 because I always wanted to. it ran okay but looking around the blower just ruined it for me.
    finally Saturday evening I swapped the cars around the yard and this afternoon decided to just pull the blower, then the headers came off and a couple hours later I decided to just pull the motor. this is in my side yard on uneven dirt, so ove got sheets of plywood to help the hoist roll. hopefully during the week I'm doing the freeze plugs, timing chain, seals and paint. Need to swap out the PS brackets and maybe have it running this weekend. jim

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No messing around there.:bowtie:

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I always wanted a 6-71 blower as well, however, after listening to a couple of them , and that great sounding belt whine , it started to bother me, HAA HA, I never even thought about trying to drive the car with that big unit sticking up in front of my field of vision!!

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

centuries ago i bought a pontiac motor to build....for my stock TA. It had a Milidon gear drive in it.. :) built a nice simple motor (consider this was back in 1991) LOVED it...just noisy enough you new something was there (daily driver mind you) well....that "something" changed everything...going down the highway to florida...with 3.73 gears running about 3000 rpm for 7 hrs...and the flowmasters AND a big ass flex fan....like sleeping inside a GE4000 trubine engine....freaking defining. lost out on alot of easy money racing ....with that noise too :(

glad to see someone is working on their toy...cause I aint...:(

5. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

after pulling the blower, wife reminds me that we used some household money to buy it ( I have my wheeling and dealing cash) so I was informed in am not allowed to sell it since we are vested in it. cant stand to see something like this just sitting in the shed, so it's going on the 66 chevelle for awhile while I finish the cheapo ring and bearings on the 454, I do have a pair of rpm heads for the 454. jim

6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

freeze plugs, timing chain replaced even though they looked good. installing a ford solenoid and got the starter flexplate installed. just need to clean up my really cramped area, rearrange the plywood and maybe drop the motor tomorrow night. I did lay the headers in the bay, so I dont have to try and snake them on with the motor installed. bought the summit brand painted headers, hope they fit. jim

7. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I have the 307 frame stands and from reading the big block is fine with 307 engine mounts. not sure if it caused me a little headache
    the drivers side header hits the back lower control arm bracket. looks like I need to dent the tube a little. passenger side the rear header bolt will not start! then again the ac box is really in the way. jim

8. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Okay. Posting this so others may read this and not have the same issues. Turns out the headers i bought from summit is not the issue. My 454 is out of a mid 80's truck with the headbolts that use 1/2 heads and are a little taller than the earlier 11/16 bolts. So the header flange hits the top of the lowbrow of bolts and doesn't allow the headers to sit low enough by about 1/32+ inch. Just enough when you get the back bolt started, you have to force the front of the heads down to barely get the bolt started and it just wants to tweak the header out to the side. I just pulled the header and ground the flange when it hit the head bolts and it fits perfect. Jim