AF ratio gauge

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Bbcngineer, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:09 PM.

1. Bbcngineer

Bbcngineer Member

guys,

I want to play around with tuning using AF ratio. I k ow I want wide band for my 66 427 using a Holley 750 double pumper. What’s the best package to buy? AutoMeter? Anyone have first hand experience with durability and usefulness?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used an Innovate, but whatever wideband brand you go with, make sure it comes with the latest sensor technology. The sensor is where the speed of reading and accuracy comes from, I think current is Bosh LSU 4.9. My experience with afr gauge and carburetors is that you'll have to settle for a happy medium somewhere. I've never been able to tune for perfect afr's at the same time at idle, cruise, and wot. Transitioning from idle to cruise always seemed to give me fits. Then throw in varying weather conditions like higher inlet air temp on hot days, denser air when cold, etc, you'll see why. I will agree that an afr gauge is a good tuning tool, and at least you know exactly where you are.

G72Zed likes this.
  3. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Yes the newer versions you do not need to calibrate to 'regular" air. I have an older LM-1 that I used with their LM3 to log acceleration rpm and vacuum.

Very useful no matter it you have a carb or EFI. Vacuum gauge helps tell what circuit the carb is in.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I have used quite a few of the Innovate MTX-L gauges. No complaints, but I found the replacement Oxygen sensors from NTK (#24321) were a little more robust compared to the Bosch units, be it the 1/2" or 1' bungs, maybe it's just my luck.

As CorkyE stated, they are sensitive and will vary pending your carb setup. If it's the HP line of Holley's with the IFR's in the high set position, it will vary even more.

They are in fact very much worth it.

5. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’m running an Autometer Sportcomp 3378 wideband. It’s been operating without issues for 8 years now. Great addition for carb tuning and monitoring performance.

John Wright likes this.
  6. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have both the AEM and the PLX. I use the AEM in my Camaro, and PLX in 2002 Z28. If I bought another, I would go with the PLX. Both of them work well, I just prefer the PLX.

7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Get the AEM unit, extremely widely used and accepted and excellent quality. Happy tuning

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the AEM as well...no issues

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I had a few innovate meters going back to the LM1. Most recently I tried an AEM and am happy with it. Easy hookup.

10. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Member

Really helped a carb tuning novice get into a decent tune. Helps explain idle vs off idle vs highway cruise vs WOT. Also made me appricate what Fuel Injection does for the motor.
    Using this one
    Summit Racing® Digital Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges SUM-G2997