Alignment Specs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 1981zapper, Aug 28, 2019.

1. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

with -1* of camber will I have uneven tire wear?, I am staying with my stock control arms

2. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

-1 camber - youll notice more wear on the inner tire treads - not uneven

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

And with the lowering springs the OP is using, it may in fact induce bump steer that can add to the issue, be it + or - .

It's something a good wheel alignment shop will check when on the rack.

4. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Member

on a street car I like -.5 to -.75 camber as much + caster as you can get and 1/16 +- 1/32 toe in.maybe little more toe in if more negative camber is preferred. i find that helps with tire wear, this is my experience .

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

X2^ . That's basically my experience and also my specs to a T. (-.75 camber with +7.0 caster and same toe specs)

6. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

So finally got around to getting alignment done today. I am disappointed with the results, Like mentioned above, I installed all new bushings, stock ball joints and offset cross-shaft to increase negative camber, kept my stock control arms

Best the shop could achieve with my suspension

Driver side:
    Caster; +2.3*
    Camber: +0.1*
    Toe in: 0.05*

Passenger Side:
    Caster; +2.5*
    Camber: 0*
    Toe in: 0.05*

We set the suspension to achieve the most positive caster as possible, I don't have anymore threads left for anymore shims, and if I could add anymore positive caster my camber was going into the positive numbers.

What do you guys think about these numbers? and about all these shims?

My goal was to achieve:
    Caster; +2.5 - +3*
    Camber: -0.75*

Specs:
    alignment 001.jpeg

Driver side shims:
    alignment 003.jpeg

Passenger side shims:
    alignment 002.jpeg

alignment 005.jpeg

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

The best you can do with what you have. The aftermarket upper control arms designed to increase caster make a big difference but you have to watch which ones you buy. Some give an additional 3 degrees and some give an additional 5 + degrees over teh stock upper arms. The uppers I bought gave me 3 degrees additional. They are the most recent Summit models, very study, beautifully made, came with ball joints and I got them new in the box off of Craigslist for $100 so I figured if they weren't what I was looking for I could sell them. After alignment I have 5.3 right and 5.2 left degrees positive caster, .7 right and .6 left degrees negative camber and .12 degree total toe in (.06 degree each side). In comparison we just finished an 81Z for a customer which we used PTFB uppers with the long upper ball joint and the positive caster was 6.7 right and 6.5 left. My car with the slightly lower caster numbers drives great, light years ahead of the stock steering geometry. I also installed a Larse 974 steering box in my car which made everything even better.