All hail the mighty LS!!!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Nov 9, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I know, a little dramatic on the intro. I got home a little while ago from a trip to the Ol 1320 in my 72. The car ripped an 11.65 at 118mph with a pitiful 1.86 60 ft ! Its running a very mild LS3 with a tiny 220* at .050 cam , a GMPP dual plane intake and Fast EZ EFI. A 2800rpm stall, 2004R, 3.42 gears, AC PS,PB . It was built as a nice cruiser with an eye towards good drive ability , fuel economy, and good braking and handling. What the heck is it doing running as hard as my rip snorting SBC406 that should be on a trailer to go anywhere more than 30 miles away?! My 15yr old actually drove the car the 85 mile round trip to the track today. He has about 20 hrs total driving time in his life and made the comment that it drives better than my Tundra Double Cab or the wifes Nissan Murano SUV ! Gotta love that!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LS!!!! LOL

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Yup, my 6.0 LS2 with a hot cam just ran 11.51 @121mph.
    I also have a hard time getting traction; most cars running 121mph are around 11.2.

3. newschool72

What did the exhaust do for you? Never heard back on the improvement

4. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

Congrats on the great run. Im looking forward to taking my Bird to the track next summer.

5. 70PTRS

70PTRS Veteran Member

Nice time slip David! My 70 will be getting a LS in it this winter. Looking forward to some serious LS power :cool:

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

dammit...the 305 in my monte is TIRED....why are you guys trying to make me poor? LOL

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You gotta love the LS power

8. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

9. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

Just curious why you went with the FAST EZ instead of just using the LS fuel injection? Are you still running coil on plug?

10. newschool72

It was a simple choice for me to go that route. First, I don't like the factory LS intake. Its a compromise to fit the LS engine under the hood of the modern aero designs of the new vehicles . Im not smart enough to get into EFI live or any of the other computer programs that require a ton of knowledge to work with, either.
    The GMPP dual plane is a masterpiece for a street LS3 headed engine. It has long runners to help with port velocity, BUT at the same time ,the cross section of the intake runners are HUGE! They can support all the air a stock cube, or even a 408, 418, or 427 can move up to any RPM a street engine will turn to. The intake moves more than enough air for my 376 to spin to 7000rpms!
    The Fast EZ got the nod because its a self learning system, BUT it allows me to set parameters like idle, part throttle and WOT AFRs. If I want to change something in my setup, I can handle all the tuning with the help of the Fast EZs learning system. No need to find a tuner and pay out the nose for their knowledge. It is also a limiter for my need to go faster, because it wont work with forced induction or nitrous, so I don't have a chance to be stupid and blow my junk up, LOL.
    I still use the coil on plug ignition system and use the MSD 6012 box to fire the coils. It gives me total control of the ignition curve. I like to have a dip in the timing curve at peak torque to help with piston speed at max efficiency and can do that with the MSD . I can go anywhere I want on timing from idle to redline with a lap top and a very simple to understand display.
    With the combo of the stellar GMPP intake, the FAST EZ efi, MSD ignition controller and the right cam , I have all the power I could ask for from a very mild mannered street engine. I can tune on it all I want and don't have to be very computer literate to handle anything I want to do. Its a win, win, win, win situation for a 48 yr old guy that just learned how to turn a computer on 3 yrs ago, LOL.