All hail the mighty LS!!!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Nov 9, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Its great that the aftermarket has stepped up and offers components to make a big cam street able, but stuff like brake vacuum issues and being able to run the AC at a red light, idling in traffic, lead me to the build on the Camaro. The first thing I told Tim at Bullet was, I have to have 16" of vacuum, no exceptions. Second was a conversation about the D&A 409 that made table top flat torque from off idle and carried the TQ way up the RPM range. We agreed that the LSA would have to stay tight to do what they had accomplished. We went over a few different lift and duration choices and what they gave or took away from drive ability, power, idle quality, etc. Good valve train stability was important so I had to have really good springs. To keep the high vacuum I needed, we had to keep the duration short and find all the area under the curve we could get, to move enough air to make power. He picked a very aggressive lobe that is asymmetrical, that would stuff maximum air in the short duration and pushed the lift numbers as high as he could and be stable with the duration we were working with.
    In the end, the cam choice was spot on, giving the vacuum I needed, being stable to 7000rpms, and making more power than either one of us expected. I had done the research on the Australian baby cam, LS3 head theory and he agreed that the heads may carry the cam to higher rpm than the specs would suggest. He expected the cam to be done by about 6000rpms, but I was hoping for more . He said we may get it, but I didn't expect a tiny 220 at .050 cam to buzz cleanly to 7000rpms. Its a combo that I lucked up on, but we did all we could to maximize what we had to work with. I couldn't be happier with the choice to give Tim a call and let him grind a baby cam for me and Id be more than glad to share the specs with anyone that wants to have their cake and eat it too, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. newschool72

I enabled the MAP timing into the MSD box today with a 2 bar MAP sensor. Now the engine sees 45* of timing at high vacuum, light throttle driving. I will probably do a cruise this weekend to see what kind of mileage it winds up with.
    The crazy thing is, at the higher timing, the car idles without a hint lope. I don't know that I like that, but it sure is a sleeper now! Sounds like your average Mr Goodwrench 350 replacement engine. You could pass it off as a 15 second cruiser, LOL.

3. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

My cam specs are:
    228/232 @ .050
    290/290 adv.
    .600/.600 lift with stock 1.7 rockers
    112 lsa.

This cam loves a converter and 11:1 + compresion. Unfortunately my LQ4 amd milled heads only give me ~ 9.75:1 . Still makes great power for "just a stock headed small block truck motor with a cam".

You need to update your sig with the LS3 times. It makes for a nice comparison as you have your 68 camaro right below with all the go fast goodies running with very similar ET's LOL. Man, I used to badly want a 406, not anymore ha ha.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I looked at piecing together one myself but I'm too lazy to bother and will most likely just buy a kit like you. Good to hear you like it so much. I'm pretty much sold!

5. newschool72

With those cam specs, with any traction at all, you should be in the 11s fairly easily.
    As far as putting the times in my sig, Im thinking out a way to get a little more versatile with my suspension setup and go back in the spring and try to run it to what its capable of. Right now I thinking about front spring setups that will get me some weight transfer, but not completely kill the handling. I have been tossing the idea around of changing the rear brakes to an 11" setup, so I can get some side wall for some track only stickies. These projects are never done, LOL.

6. newschool72

Phase 1 of operation hookup has started! I sold my Hotchkis TVS 600 lb in front springs and bought a set of Moroso trick springs. You would think the cornering ability would go away with such soft springs (270 lb in) but I will be cutting them to have the same stance as the 2" drops Ive been running. That will stiffen them some, but the kicker is the Hotchkis 1 13/16ths front sway bar on the car. The way it mounts makes it work almost like a torsion bar. It is rigid and doesn't move up and down like a factory bar. With the bar connected it should handle just slightly softer than the other stiff setup. More than enough to make the car handle well. But disconnect the bar and it will transfer weight much better than the last trip to the track. Im going to change the shocks out also , to an adjustable set, so I can dial them in at the track too. I will see what that does before I do anything to the rear. Stay tuned!;)

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I have Global West springs and control arms; I cut 1/4 turn out of the springs to drop them 1" more for a total of 2". Also not the best for weight transfer. I don't ever plan to change springs again, other than installing coil overs.

I will stay tuned! I guess your track is still open. We are all closed up in Michigan.

8. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

And the quest for 10s begins. I would have tried a better tire first but then again, I hate pulling out front springs, then getting an alignment, etc.

9. newschool72

Its a money thing right now, so no tires. The spring and shock swap is a wash on dollars. It shouldn't need an alinment with the same stance. If it does ,I do my own front end work anyway, so just some more work.

10. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

Yeah I hear you on the money. Pretty hard for me do justify the cost of some drag radials right now especially with winter here.