All hail the mighty LS!!!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Nov 9, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Our track is officially closed for the year, but they will open during the winter for informal T&T from time to time , if the weather is nice. I don't have a trip planned anytime soon. I will just tinker with the car over the winter and test a little on the street to check for suspension movement in first and second gear. If it lifts good on the street, I will be confident it will do better than the last trip to the track. I will try to get back to the track in March, probably.

2. newschool72

Well, I just ordered a set of Bilstein front drag shocks. After a fair amount of research I think that's the best way to go. They are designed to give instant weight transfer, but offer great control on the street and are a gas charged shock, so they should offer consistency over the oil shocks most companies sell as "drag shocks". The bad thing is, that has blown the budget, so I am going to have to be creative on anything I do to the rear suspension.

3. 73Z

73Z Veteran Member

It doesn't take a ton of work to make these cars hook hard. My car dead hooks a 1.5 60' with stock 5 leaf springs, cheap comp eng 3 way shocks, homemade caltrac bars, factory sway bar, and a 275-60 MT DR. You can easily 60' into the 1.4's or better with a good set of QA1 adjustable shocks and some mono leafs on top of the things I mentioned above.

4. newschool72

Im sure hoping I can hook without much issue. The hard part is not going with a dedicated drag setup. I built this car to do a lot more than go in a straight line, so the challenge is to strike a good balance between better than average handling and hooking on the strip. I don't need auto-x winning corner carving and I don't want a dedicated, mushy drag setup. Im sure it will come together in the next few weeks and give me the results I want. Just got to get the parts in that I bought and screw it all together, then tweak, tweak, tweak!

5. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I bought a set of Comp Eng 3-way drag shocks - absolutely no quality control; for all settings one was much softer than the other; actually seemed that one had no resistance at all in any setting.
    I returned them and bought the Summit ones - much better and I used them. However, they corner sloppy in "drag" setting and I am putting my Edelbrocks and sway bar back on.

Like newschool I want a car that corners reasonably well. I originally wanted a car that would be good for road course racing, but gave up and bought a BMW for that and have enjoyed getting back into that. Still eyeing a Detroit Speed subframe though.

6. newschool72

I pulled the SSM lift bars off today. They had the rear suspension in a serious bind. Ive read several places that the Hotchkis rear leaf springs don't have any issue with wheel hop, so Im going to give it a try without them. I installed the SSMs originally to keep the drive line angles in check, because I had to rotate my pinion up to get good working angles for the drive shaft, but locked the rear suspension down in the process. I will do some experimenting with pinion angle and maybe cheat it down a little so it doesn't rotate too far up and blow the u-joints, trans, or diff on a hard launch. Tweak, tweak, tweak! LOL

7. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

I still have Comp Eng traction bars. I am considering Caltracs but don't know if they adversely affect cornering/handling.

I know I should, but have never bothered with checking pinion angles. I am installing a safety loop asap.

8. newschool72

Caltracs adversely effect cornering, but not as bad as the SSM bars. Both styles are designed to push straight ahead and can create under steer if you try to accelerate in a curve.
    I need a welder to do some modifications Ive been thinking about on the SSM bars. I think Im going to ask momma santa for an early gift ! LOL

9. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

Darn to hear that Caltracs do adversely affect handling. I suspect that Slide-A-Links have the same problem; also read that at higher power they become Bend-A-Links.

I keep reading that as "S&M" bars. ;)
    Need to lookup what they are.

10. newschool72

I dug some old helper springs I used to experiment with different stances on my 68 Camaro a few years ago and am going to try them, but in a reverse position to how they are meant to be used. I was looking around on the web this morning and people are using the exact ones I have laying around to fix their wheel hop issues. I will post up a pic when I get them on . Free mod for me so I will give them a go.