alternative fuel pick-up for EFI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Mar 20, 2012.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Ok guys and gals, ive jumped into my fuel feed issues head first. Sure hope I dont hit my head on a rock!LOL
    Instead of trying to keep mohommed on the mountain, I am bringing the mountain to mohommed. After a little digging I found out about these cool little fuel pick-ups made by walbro for snowmobiles. They can be positioned anywhere you care to put them and the are relatively cheap.
    A rock crawler guy turned me on to them, saying they are proven to work in the extreme environment of rock jocking. If you have ever watched it, you know they are straight up, straight down, slammed sidways and sometimes on their top!
    I figured it was worth a try to see if I could make them work in a 72 tank, so here goes!

[​IMG]

First off , after pulling my tank and flushing it with water and mean green for a couple hours, I figure out the best spot for an access panel to the inside of the tank and cut her up!

[​IMG]

Then I cut an access panel out of some .044 aluminum I had laying around

[​IMG]

Next I had to figure out the best spot for the center pick-up. I picked up a cross fitting and 4 5/16ths barbed fittings and a foot of submergible rubber hose at the local napa store. i had some 3/8ths aluminum fuel line laying around also. I put the center pick up as close to the original spot as possible.

[​IMG]

Next I teed off with another pick-up to the right side of the tank, about where it turns up around half way back.

[​IMG]

Next up , I did the same thing on the left side.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the mock-up. Tomorrow I will try to finish her up and see how it work. I have 3 gallons of gas and a twisty road to test on. Stay tuned;)

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are these the pickups that have some sort of a little float/flapper in each one so that if one pickup goes dry, the flapper shuts and the system can still suck from the rest of the pickups?

3. newschool72

Yes sir.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

OEs use those I think, if I see the pics right.

5. newschool72

Bonzo, I will get a pic if you would like. If anyone wants to research these pick-ups, they are walbro mp13s and mp12s. If I pull enough suction on my pump to close the valves, I cant imagine the not working like I hope.:happy:

6. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Those were developed by Arctic Cat ( called Smart Valves) for their efi snowmobiles, Vaporworx is using them in their stainless tanks as well, I bought one for my car at DSE. They work as Bondo described.

7. newschool72

So , for 140 bucks all inclusive, Im on the right track? Man, I hope this works for me because my budget is blown on this project and I sure would like to play in the twisties with the old 72!;)

8. newschool72

I think I will probably use something I have laying around to brace the pick-ups down. A piece of rod cut to fit snug between the roof of the tank and the pick-ups should suffice to keep it all in place, As long as it will overcome the fuel rushing around.
    I will figure it out tomorrow. Hang with me and we will "GETT R DUNN"!! Had to throw a little Larry in there. Damn Red Neck Ga. Boys.LOL

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Just make sure you DONT say "Watch this!" before you go drive it.

Tom

10. newschool72

LOL.Not sure I understand that statement, but before I endorse it I will test it.
    Coming along nicely right now. I picked up some 1 1/2 stainless tube at the scrap yard to hold the pick-ups down and am on my last mock-up right now.
    I will have more pics later tonight. got to get back out there.:happy: