alternative fuel pick-up for EFI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Mar 20, 2012.

1. andrew69_04

andrew69_04 Veteran Member

I would agree with this as well. Wouldn't hard turns (exposing one of the pick-up's to air) cause the fuel system to suck air instead of fuel out of the other pickup?

I dont see how this would work a whole lot better than the factory pickup (especially for EFI) if there isnt more baffeling/chambers

2. Sode

Sode Member

Just placed my order with APE came to $102 with free shipping and $11.99 for 12 hard drive magnets off of ebay shipped.

This is what I ordered, i think this is pretty much PolarBear got:

1 x MP-15 with bleed hole (pass through)
    2 x MP-12 without bleed hole
    1 x 14" flex hose
    2 x 10" flex hose
    1 x 8" flex hose
    1 x Y adaptor for flex hoses

The only thing I have left is to order the fuel line clamps, I need to decide whether to use this style:

[​IMG]

or this style (oetiker):
    [​IMG]

3. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Those pick ups work like a check valve, when it loses fuel it closes and the pump will draw from the other pick up. I have the Vaporworx system (uses the same style pucks) in my car and I'm able to run auto-x with 1.5 gallons in the tank without a hiccup.

4. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thats pretty close to what I bought. I used more of the 14" hoses, but there is a bit of slack with them. I also used the oetiker clamps as described in the Vaporwerx thread on LS1tech or PT, They are really nice clamps, but you need pinch pliers to clamp them. I got everything from McMaster Carr as it is only a few minutes away from me. Cant link to anything on McMaster Carr's site because of the way it is written. but search for 5435K12 at http://www.mcmaster.com the pinch pliers are linked at the clamp area if you choose to purchase them.

5. PolarBear

I got my fuel pump in the tank last weekend finally. I went with an external Walbro, two band clamps clamped to the pump and another big ass hard drive magnet that I had from another OLD hard drive. When I put the pump in the tank I got it stuck to the one pickup and I almost couldnt get it off with one hand. Once it was in the tank and in the spot I wanted, I tried to move it around and it was VERY difficult.

This should work out well.

I had to trim the bolts for the band clamps, otherwise it wouldnt fit through the sending unit hole.

[​IMG]

No cutting or welding!

On a side note; Once I was finished I tested to make sure the pump was working and I fired up the pump with about 3 gallons of fuel and a bucket. I wanted to get the rest of the fuel out of the tank so I waited until I heard the pickups suck closed. On a flat surface once completed there was only a few ounces of fuel left in the tank, yeah this should work very well.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. airtimehocutt

airtimehocutt Veteran Member

to the original op. how has the system worked for you so far?i am looking at ordering me a new tank tomorrow and install this system. do yaw think it is nessessary to add front to back baffels as a back up plan like vaporworks did? would not be too hard just straight metal pieces about 17 inches long and 4 inches tall. just guestamating on the actual size here. what is the best clamp or did it really matter? thanks

7. airtimehocutt

polarbear, where did you mount your pump? on top of the tank with a magnet? since my efi will need a return line i was thinking of using the original 3/8 fuel line as my return line and run a new 1/2 aluminum line for my new fuel line. i was thinking of getting a metal nipple welded into my new tank hole cover? what do you think? i am also concerned about having a 5/16 pick up line. yaw think this will have an issue supporting 600 to 800 hp?

8. airtimehocutt

what kind of issues will there be with the magnets being submerged in fuel?

9. airtimehocutt

polarbear, were u able to install your system thru the factory sending unit hole? so you did not have to cut up a new tank

10. PolarBear

I dont see any issues with putting magnets in the tank.

The pump is in the tank, somewhere in the middle near the sending unit.

I was able to get all the parts that I have posted in the stock sending unit hole. No cutting or welding on my tank