alternative fuel pick-up for EFI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Mar 20, 2012.

1. airtimehocutt

airtimehocutt Veteran Member

how were u able to get your pick ups in position thru the small hole? so having those exposed electrical contacts is not a fire hazard? my pump is a walbro gsl 392 pump.

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had some help from someone that has much smaller hands and arms than I do position them with a prybar once they were in the tank.

You need 3 things to have a fire, a fuel, oxygen and a source of ignition. Inside a gas tank there is essentially no oxygen, so no fire. You cant really have a spark from the connections in the tank ayway. But this is nothing different than any other car really. Fuel pumps are in the tank in almost every fuel injected vehicle on the road.

3. airtimehocutt

polarbear could you have not just clamped your fuel fump onto the 3/8 fuel line pick up next to the sending unit? i am trying to decide if i wanna drill a new hole and run my 1/2 aluminum line next to the 3/8 line so i can have my fuel pump inside of tank, or weld some type of nipple at bottom of gas tank and use my pump externally. either way finding a rubber hose and fittings for 1/2 aluminum line is not something you can do local. i plan on using my original 3/8 line as my return line. another issue is going from the small 5/16 line used on the pick ups to 1/2 line. of course i could just use local 3/8 brake line for nipple and let my pump be the adapter to go from 3/8 to 1/2.

4. airtimehocutt

polarbear how loud was the pump since it is mounted basically metal to metal by using the magnets? i saw the faom wrap just curious about the magnets vibrating on metal

5. PolarBear

Not with an early tank, the pump with the fittings on the end are longer than the tank is deep, then you have to bend the lines slightly.....

Its REAL faint on prime, not any worse than my 3rd gen sounded, then once the car is running I wouldnt even know. I think the foam helped a lot

6. airtimehocutt

polarbear, what and where r you putting your fuel filter? i see the pickups have a mesh 70 mm screen, is this good enough for a prefilter? i was thinking of a mr. gasket 2526 filter after the pump. i am switching over to the walbro gsl 392.

7. PolarBear

I am using the pickups as my pre-filter. I bought a 40 micron Trickflow filter with -6an on the in and out. I re-bent all the ines on the caprice sending unit I bought and flared the 3/8 to a -6 and the 5/16 to -5 put tube nuts on those lines, then I made a 90 degree tube off that and mounted my filter only a few inches from the sending unit.

8. airtimehocutt

i went ahead and cut my tank open and have fabed up all three lines and have them at the y now.

i wanna run a 3/8 steel line from the bottom edge of my tank next to the driverside tank strap facing the front of the car, toward the rearend. i am not able to check and see if anything is in the way (car is at friends shop). is there anything in the way that would prevent me from running a 3/8 fuel line out the front lower edge of the tank? anything in the area that i would hit? thanks

9. usmcz28

usmcz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There shouldn't be anything on either side, I have my tank opened up to put an LSx fuel pump sending unit in and it's free and clear on both sides.

10. airtimehocutt

thanks, i just wanna to double check before i have the new fuel line welded in.