alternative fuel pick-up for EFI

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Mar 20, 2012.

1. nbet

nbet New Member

Tank sealant

Man I'm ready to do this, have dropped the tank again on my 68 Firebird w/Edelbrock EFI, which is starving on too many hills and turns. But I found that the hole is only about 1.75" dia. Too small to fit the Walbro pickup through right? So, I guess that means I have to cut open the tank. What's a good gas-proof sealant for sealing up the lid on the cutout and any other tips for doing things that way?

Attached Files:

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Update on mine. I started having issues with hard starts. I took the system down and found a tear in one of the small pieces of rubber hose. I assume it was loosing prime. I also had an issue with lost fuel pressure and a very loud external pump.
    My fix was to completely start over. I got an Aeromotive HP700 submersable pump and installed it the same style as the FORMER walbro pickups. I then built a line and sock on the pickup side of the pump and built a tray with high inward sloping sides w 6 drilled holes in the bottom( located so they are open to the open areas on the ribbing at the bottom of the tank). I then ran my return into tray on the opposite side to reduce areation. My supply to the engine comes out the front of the tank just below the center seam.
    I got away from the walbros because the submersable hose failed, not because the pickups didnt work. I didnt want to risk having to take the tank apart again because a 2" piece of hose failed.
    So far the new system is doing great, but I havent pushed it hard yet. I will update when I do test it with anger.:)

4. nbet

nbet New Member

Thanks for the update. It helped push me in a different direction. Just bought a Tanks, Inc. EFI replacement tank and GPA-4 internal pump.

5. Sode

Sode Member

I went down to put the contraption in the tank, and the pickups don't fit through the hole! Well that was a big waste of money as the main reason I did this was so I wouldn't have to cut the tank open. What a bummer. For future reference for others, my tank is a '78

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

That sucks. Other than the low fuel starvation the 70 in a 78 is working fine.

I am tempted to drop the tank and redo the Spectra baffle, but the hesitation
    is a nice warning that its low on fuel .. kinda like a light but with more "weight".;)

Tom