Aluminum or Chrome Water Pump?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ratpatrol71z28, Oct 2, 2016.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Hey guys, looking to install a new water pump on the small block. Either aluminum or chrome, now is there one better over the other one? I'm leaning towards chrome because no need for polishing but also because that will go best with rest of the engine scheme.
    Thanks

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Better at what? Looks or performance. If you want the chrome look, get that. If you want performance probably aluminum.

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it is for appearance, chrome will show better but still requires cleaning and polishing to prevent pitting and discoloration, but not as much as polished aluminu. Natural or brushed finished aluminum is not as high maintenance as polished aluminum but coated aluminum that has been polished is pretty good too.

The thing to consider is that aluminum water pumps will help disapate heat well but you will have to deal with erosion of a dissimilar metal by adding an anode to your cooling system. GM did this with their cars equipped with aluminum heads and intakes in the 60's and 70's and is still a good idea today. Cast iron chrome plated water pumps are similar to stock but the polishing and chroming will help retain some heat. This is not a bad thing if your coolant flow is adequate and allows your pump to do it's job and pump the coolant through the radiator and the rest of the system.

So the only factors are basically appearance and a marginal amount of weight difference.

4. ratpatrol71z28

Well performance is practically one of the main decision makers for me as I don't want to put anything too cheap on the engine as it would be risking my investment... I am going with the Weiand Street Fighter polished aluminum manifold as well. So I have been leaning towards the Weiand polished aluminum water pump.... P/N 9240p about $140
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-9240p

Is this a pretty good lasting pump.... I understand I will need to keep up on the polishing but this is more of my show car though I definitely drive it still.

I really liked the chrome pumps I've seen around $80 but I am skeptical due to the no named brands.... Anyone have experience with those?

Attached Files:

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is very simple: Chrome retains heat... on an object you want to shed heat

Kamikaze likes this.
  6. ratpatrol71z28

Right on, I'm doing the Weiand pump. looks nice with good quality

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fair warning - I've used that Weiand Pump. It's good, but there was some bracket fitment issue that needed a spacer. Can't remember exactly what, wasn't a big deal to fix

8. ratpatrol71z28

Alright, thanks for the heads up, that's expected from using aftermarket parts. Shouldn't be anything too major I can't handle. ;)

9. thrasher

thrasher Veteran Member

The fact that you mention practicality and a chrome or polished aluminum water pump... I did the pretty stuff years ago but there was too much constant cleaning for me. Now I just get black, let the aluminum be aluminum, clean it once and a while and concentrate on making it run smoother and harder.

10. ratpatrol71z28

Definitely! Haha! Well this will be my first pretty water pump..... I'll give it a chance. It's not like the rest of the shiny parts on the engine wont need attention either.