Amazon Prime Membership Discount For Veterans and Active Duty

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 74Z28GC3, Nov 7, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I got back from Italy on October 22nd. I used my Visa while in Italy.

On October 27th, I had a fraudulent charge attempted in Delaware. Delaware, not Italy or anywhere else in Europe, Italy...

Trying to correlate a fraudulent charge with a specific time and usage doesn't make sense. I haven't been in Delaware in over 20 years. I hadn't used that card in the US for over almost a month other than for my automatic payments to Verizon, my electric utility and my internet provider.

Someone on the "dark" web somehow got to it. My CC company caught the attempted usage, declined it, called me to verify and then canceled that card.

I seriously doubt that the usage on Amazon had anything to do with your situation Gary and I have never heard of Amazon being a problem for CC fraud. Whoever said that "bogus charges were common after using Amazon" at your bank was just making it up IMHO.

Probably more likely to have been breached by a brick and mortar merchant - like Target...

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can also do the Prime membership free for 30 days which i did and after 30 days i was going to cancel and they offered another free 30 days after which i cancelled and maybe 2 months later they offered 30 days free again so i'm doing it again lol. Hey free shipping is free shipping.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

No chance of that because I never use a credit card locally. I use only cash. And, I rarely order items online as I prefer to buy locally. So, it definitely came from one of the very few uses online like Amazon. Right now I have one credit card that has been used only once since it was issued. If that one gets compromised, I know who did it.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use credit cards because of protection, people can hack my card everyday, lol one phone call gets me new card and clears the charges.

debit card I cut it up, I won’t own one.

5. Gary S

Debit cards have the same protection from fraud as a credit card IF you get your debit card from a reputable bank. If you get one of those fly-by-night debit cards off the internet, good luck. You maybe don't get that protection.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Except with a debit card your account can be drained and you're broke until the bank completes it's investigation. Sure would suck not to be able to make the house payment because the bank is dragging it's feet.

7. Gary S

Not if you know how to use a debit card. A wise user has only enough money in the debit account to cover a purchase you are making. That way any fraudulant attempt will be rejected because there isn't enough money there to cover it.
    Keep one account just for debit purchases and a totally separate one for keeping your money. The one with money has no debit card attached to it.
    This prevents many fraudulant attempts right from the start. You can't do that with a credit card as the card limit is the limiting factor.

8. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had 700 dollar plane tickets used on my debit card I didn’t authorize, keybank told me to eat it.

Tossed that bank and card in trash, not risking it again. Also had a debit card and someone was able to pull cash using those money back using credit option.

Another strike against those, I always thought they needed a code. Nope the new machines allow the debit to be rang as credit now

so I only keep a credit card

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's the silliest poo I ever heard. Who's going to go to all that trouble instead of using a credit card with built in protections? I think you're being ornery just out of spite now.

10. Gary S

You need to choose your bank accounts more wisely. Select a bank that allows you to get the type of account you need. You want an account with no cash withdrawals, no overdraft protection, no automatic withdrawals by anybody, or any other way to extract money. You want an account with only the debit card as a way to take money out, and you need to demand 100% fraud protection just like you would with a credit card. Then, all you need to do it make one call and inform them and the problem gets solved in a few hours.
    As I stated, with a debit card you can limit your liability for fraud by simply not having money available. With a credit card that isn't an option.
    That's how you "manage" and "control" your money.