Amazon Q&A section- what possesses people?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Todd80Z28, May 18, 2018.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been scoping out a decent, but reasonably priced multimeter (so that excludes Fluke, as much as I like them). My interest was piqued by the Ames line of meters at Harbor Freight, which appear to be good quality. My searches led me to the fact that this is a re-branded Mastech, even cheaper online! Anyway...

What possesses people to answer "not sure" or "I don't know" to questions on the Amazon page. For example...

Question:
    does it measure DC current drain on 12V automobile ??

Answer:
    I am not sure
    By David on May 16, 2018
    • votes
    Question:
    where can I download the user manual for this clamp meter??

Answer:

Don't know mine came with a manual.
    By Garry mounce on December 5, 2017
    Not sure
    By Anthony Hartz on December 5, 2017
    You know, by virtue of the question going unanswered, we get that some people may not know.:screwup:

2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah never understood that either, maybe it like people in public who have to insert themselves into every conversation regardless of the subject or their knowledge of it.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  3. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, that's kind of the entire point of the BS section here:D, but yeah, I just scratch my head on a shopping site that's meant to be entirely informational.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Quite often Amazon will send a previous buyer an email asking for an answer to a question. Maybe they fell obligated to answer, even if they don't really know the answer?

5. deltachevy

deltachevy New Member

Its funny I was JUST thinking about this today. The conclusion I came to is that Amazon rewards people who leave a ton of reviews with special titles next to their names. The more you leave, the better chance you probably have to get this distinction. While I don't know if it comes with any physical rewards, the bad quality reviews are more than likely just to get their review numbers/statistics up, which devalues the whole system because reviews like "I don't know" or "never tried" don't add any value whatsoever.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

LOL, I don't know the answer to your question Todd. I have a Fluke.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And I have a Fluke as well and one for sale too!! HAA HA

8. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

The questions that drive me nuts are the "Will this fit a ????" when the application is clearly stated in the description.

Knuckle Dragger and dave@ztech like this.
  9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or the reviews where the poster is clearly a moron that couldn't follow directions or whine about something not related to the product. And there is no need to give your history or background to give a review. I simply don't care if you bought the product because your dad was born on the third Tuesday of January in a bad storm. :)

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:):)
    https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/182808-it-is-worth-repeating-at-this-point-the-theories-that

β€œIt is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as in "It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."

His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.

After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe